+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Still very cloudy after running filter 24/7 for 2 1/2 weeks, 3rd year using BBB metho

Unhappy Still very cloudy after running filter 24/7 for 2 1/2 weeks, 3rd year using BBB metho

Our winter cover split on both ends and allowed lots of debris to fall in, algae to grow, and our pool was a complete mess upon opening this year (we opened late due to unforeseen circumstances). I have since cleaned out all debris, chlorinated using household bleach, I've used borax and baking soda. I have also used the Walmart Extra Blue shock 1 bag 4 times waiting 72 hours in between each dose. I have also changed my sand in my filter and replaced the lateral pipe as it was cracked. I have a Hayward S180T sand filter. This year I installed a new eyeball return that starts with a V (sorry can't remember and it's probably irrelevant anyway) and it's supposed to allow for better circulation. I have never had this problem with my pool before. The water is a bluish milk cloudy and appeared to be clearing, however the past 5 or 6 days no changes I can see about 1 foot down into my pool and
    My levels are as follows.
    FC 29
    CC 0
    TA 70
    CH 30
    CYA 30
    Any help you could give me would be most appreciated.
    Above ground pool, vinyl liner 15 by 30 oval 48 inches deep.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Still very cloudy after running filter 24/7 for 2 1/2 weeks, 3rd year using BBB m

What size pump do you have? Are you running the pump 24/7 and backwashing as needed?

I have no idea what is in Walmart Extra Blue shock. Can you list the ingredients?

Your numbers look pretty good but you didn't list a pH reading.

What test kit did you use to get these numbers? (You won't be able to test pH accurately while the chlorine is that high, by the way.)

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Default Re: Still very cloudy after running filter 24/7 for 2 1/2 weeks, 3rd year using BBB m

I have an AStral 1800 series pump, but I have no idea what horse power it is. The writing in worn on it.

My PH has consistently been 7.2 even before I got the chlorine this high.
    Yes, I am running the pump 24/7 and am backwashing as necessary.
    My test kit is the TF-100.
    The active ingredients in the Walmart Aqua Chem Xtra blue are Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione 63.5%, Copper (metallic) .26%, Other ingredients 36.69%(it doesn't say what other is). http://www.poolgeek.com/products/aqu...FTJn7AodulIAig There is a link to the xtra blue shock.
    Thank you so much for reading my thread!

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

See the sticky on Adding DE to a sand filter as that can improve filtration for finer particles.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Uh, oh. I see the words copper in that ingredient list. You don't want to put copper in your pool unless you like things stained or like blonde hair turning green! Most people think it is chlorine that causes that, but rather it is copper. Don't use any more of that product.

You might want to verify that your filter is working properly. Find a small bag of DE and add a small amount to the skimmer and watch the returns. If you see white powder shooting back out, that means that your filter is not working. If you don't see that, then the DE may actually help your filter to work better. More about that here:> http://pool9.net/de-test/

(Until your registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and paste it in a browser window after you have logged out.)

Ok,I will try that. What should I use to shock the pool if needed? Just bleach? I've always used the one above with no problems. Do I need a clarifier? I do have a nylon knee high panty hose over my skimmer and have been rinsing it off daily.

Yes, you can just use bleach for shocking. Don't fool with a clarifier at this point. Let's just check on the status of your filter first.

Ok, I have some DE and will try that tomorrow. Our power company is cutting off our neighborhood power for four hours in the morning. I'll try after that. Thanks again! My sand is brand new as of Saturday.

Ok. Let's us know the results.

(I just now noticed that Chem_Geek and I posted at about the same time awhile ago and gave you the same advice --- try the DE test.

I didn't realize Chem_Geek had replied either. Thank you!
    I was thinking over night (yes, this year my pool is keeping me awake ha ha) that maybe the DE I have isn't the kind you're talking about so I googled it and
    realized there is more than one kind! I have the food grade. I will go to the pool store today and see if they have the pool kind.

+ Reply to Thread