+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Still very cloudy after running filter 24/7 for 2 1/2 weeks, 3rd year using BBB metho

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Still very cloudy after running filter 24/7 for 2 1/2 weeks, 3rd year using BBB m

Not sure why your thread accidentally got locked but at any rate, I opened it back up.

Default Re: Still very cloudy after running filter 24/7 for 2 1/2 weeks, 3rd year using BBB m

Thank you! Here's an update. Still cloudy. I've been keeping the chlorine up, it's sort of like a blueish green mix and less milky cloudy if that makes sense. I can see the bottom now pretty much all the way across, but not easily. I have not used any polyquat yet. I'm wondering if when my filter had a crack in the pipe leading to the laterals (now fixed about 2 or 3 weeks ago), did it cause sand to go into my pool and that's part of the cloudiness problem? When I stir the water up really well I do then notice sand in the skimmer sock. Is there any way to get the sand out other than turning the filter off so the sand possibly settles and then vacuum it out or is that the solution?
    9.2k gal 15 x 30 oval AG pool, well water, Hayward S180T sand filter, Astral pump running 24/7. PF=13

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Sand in the pool does not cause cloudiness.

2. Sand *missing* from the filter DOES cause cloudiness.

3. Sand that is too coarse (anything other than labeled filter sand INCLUDING Quikrete 'filter sand') causes cloudiness.

4. Anything that ends up in the skimmer sock, when you stir the pool is NOT sand; sand sinks too fast.

Did you use some sort of zeolite or sand replacement media?

On what date did you first do the DE test?

Now that you can see a bit more in the pool, can you do the DE test again, with 4 cups of DE, and make sure that DE is not getting through your filter?

I bought the sand from the pool store. I haven't used the products you mentioned. I did the de test 6/24. I will do the test again in the morning. Could it be metals? I have well water. This has never happened before however and I've had the pool several years.
    9.2k gal 15 x 30 oval AG pool, well water, Hayward S180T sand filter, Astral pump running 24/7. PF=13

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Metals don't usually cause cloudiness, unless it's iron rust.

Regarding the sand, do you recall if the sand was in bags that were labeled "filter sand"? Pool stores have been known to sell cheap grades of sand blast sand instead.

I'm sorry I don't recall what the bag said on it. I can call them Monday and ask.
    I did the DE test today adding 3 cups directly to the skimmer (without the sock) and no mixing with water. Honestly I was afraid to add 4
    since 1/2 cup was too much earlier (meaning it would clog by filter and I have well water and it's hard to keep the water level up at times).
    No white water came out the return at all. Three days ago I added an athletic sock to the skimmer instead of a nylon one so I could see if
    it would get stained. That sock is now a dark brown (was white). We got in the pool yesterday and stirred it up really well and I didn't
    see, what I thought was sand earlier in the week, in the sock this morning. In the sock are just normal bugs and dirt and like I said before very stained.
    It MIGHT be a bit bit clearer each day now, but nothing to brag about for sure. Thank you for continuing to read. I really do appreciate it!
    to be getting any clearer at this point.

Another observance, since adding the three cups of DE this morning, well over two hours ago, the pressure hasn't dropped any and the return is still strong flowing. The other day when testing and mixing the DE with water using only about half cup it clogged the filter and I had to back wash.

Go in and look at the bags. 99% chance that they'll tell you it's "filter sand", no matter whether it is, or not.

Is your water clear enough for you to see whether the DE came back out into the pool?

Also, you said the sock was dark brown. Was that dark like chocolate or coffee, or dark like a rusted tin can? Dark like coffee + well water points to manganese. Do you have a treatment system on your house water, especially a "greensand" filter?

I haven't been able to go in the pool store, because they are closed for July 4th, and I can't go in and look because it's kept around the back of the store in a little alley way. Maybe I can sneak around there. ha ha!
    My water is clear enough to see the return very easily. I can see all of the bottom of the pool now. It's not the milky cloudy anymore, but it's not clear. My water does not look brown at all, it's like it's the right color now, but not clear, but I'd no longer describe it as "cloudy" water. Sorry if that's confusing. The sock stain isn't a rich (warm tone) brown like coffee or chocolate and I wouldn't say it's like tin can rust either which I would describe as a warm color too. It's more of a cool tone dark brown. http://www.deviantart.com/art/He-wanted-socks-377368181 I searched for cool tone brown and found that image, it's more of that brown color. Funny that is was socks too. :P

I do not have a treatment system on my house.

The DE from yesterday morning is still in my filter and the pressure has only risen 1 PSI, the return has diminished just a bit, but not enough to need backwashing. The pool is getting better day by day, and I know I need patience. I've just never had this problem before. When we first set up the pool (years ago) we filled with pond water and it was clear within a week. I know that's nasty, but it was our only choice. I have the Walmart shock bags I mentioned earlier in my thread staring at me begging to be ripped open and thrown in the pool, but I am resisting, really I am.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

1. I'm glad it's not chocolate brown. Dingy sock gray-brown is typical of many pool conditions, EXCEPT live algae, so it's not a specific indicator, like chocolate brown is.

2. Nothing wrong with pond water, if you chlorinate and have a filter than can clean it upl.

3. If it's clearing, and if DE's NOT shooting out the return, I'd recommend simply maintaining chlorine levels, and adding DE after each backwash, till the water is clear.

Happy to say that in just over a month my water is finally "resembling" clear pool water. I backwashed yesterday and a lot of dingy water came out so I'm pretty sure the DE is what is doing the trick now. I added more DE back (about 2 cups) Thanks again and I bet by tomorrow or the next day I'll have sparkling water again.
    Would you recommend a good winter cover for an area with lots of leaves and wind so this never happens again.
    Thank you all again!
    Anyone reading this thread do what they say! It works! Be patient and throw away the aqua chem shock.

+ Reply to Thread