+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deb62's pool

Default Deb62's pool

Hi, I just set up my 15 x 42 intex pool. I did read the super simple recipe info (very helpful)....I added the bleach as directed while the pool filled, at 7" and last evening I put in 4x the dose. As of early this morning it is full. I just tested the ph - it was 7.5 right on the money. I just tried to test chlorine (with my k2006 test kit) and the water did not turn
    pink at all after I added the powder to it, I tried a little more and still no pink color - so no free chlorine in pool, I guess which makes sense. I will not be able to get any dichlor until tom. Although I do have a 1 lb. bag of HTH powder pool shock...should I add some of that tonight? I also bought the borax, but I believe that is only to raise the ph. Any advice would be appreciated and if you could give an example of testing for the chlorine that would be great, the directions on the test kit are a little confusing. Thank you for
    putting up with these questions from 'newbies' I appreciate the help!!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Deb62's pool

These testing demo videos may help. http://pool9.net/K2006-vid/

Just wait til you buy dichlor tomorrow. And, yes, the borax is to raise pH. Your pH is great at 7.5ppm.
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-22-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link

Thanks for your previous info.....and again thank you for putting up with these 'rookie' questions. I am a newbie with this test kit. Ok, today is the first day
    of testing for chlorine, I watched the video - thank you- and understand how to do it, just not sure what the calculations that I got mean.....if you could
    just help me with that - it would be appreciated. My ph today was only 7.0, so I plan on adding 4 doses of borax tonight along with the nightly dose of dichlor.
    That's is fine...In regards to the chlorine I just did the test with the K2006....I used 25ml sample. After the 2 dippers of r0870, It took 10 drops of the r0871 for
    the pink water to turn clear. After the 5 drops of r0003, it only took 3 drops of r0871 for the pink to turn back to clear, as it was barely pink. So if you could
    just explain all that in layman's terms - I hopefully will be all set. If you could do an example of multiplying that out and what the total is and what I should do as
    far as chlorine...... Today was the first day that the pool was used for a few hours by my 2 daughters.

Again thank you!!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

With a 25mL sample, each drop is 0.2.
    So, you multiply your 10 drops x 0.2 = 2ppm FC. Then, do the same thing to figure out your CC. Since it took 3 drops to turn back to clear, then your CC is 3 x 0.2 = 0.6ppm.

By the way, just use the 10mL sample instead of the 25mL one. It will save on your testing reagents. You do it the very same way except instead of multiplying the drop count by 0.2, you multiply by 0.5. Also, if one scoop of powder turns the water pink, you don't need to add the second scoop.

For now, don't bother testing your CYA. You haven't used enough Dichlor yet to build up a measurable amount of CYA yet. After you have been using it for about 10 days to 2 weeks, run the CYA test and see where you are with that and report it.

Instead of doing 4 doses of Borax, why don't you just do 3. Then, a couple hours later, retest and see where that puts you. You can then decide whether you need to add another dose or not.

Hope this helps.
    Be careful to not let the pool drop down to no chlorine. You don't want this pool to turn green!

+ Reply to Thread