+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do I prep my pool for vacation?

Default Re: How do I prep for vacation?

UPDATE

Just got back from vacation (ugh...I did not want to come back!) and thought I'd post an update.

A couple days before leaving I added 1 qt of polyquat. The evening before leaving I added 4 jugs of 8.25% bleach. I left the SWCG on as normal (80%, pump running 12hrs/day). Remember my concern was the salt cell might fail while I was gone (it's showing it's age, hence the higher than normal setting).

I'm glad to report after being gone for a week the pool was perfectly clear...the bottom was covered with a lot of leaves though. FC is still at 12ppm.

Now the bad news. I asked a friend to check the skimmer baskets while I was gone. I figured this was a simple enough task. Well, she didn't seat the skimmer baskets all the way in so leaves got around the baskets. When I got home, both skimmers and the pipe openings below them were completely clogged. The pump basket was also completely clogged and had split down two sides from the pressure. I noticed the pressure gauge on the filter was only reading about half the normal pressure. I didn't think to check the SWCG to see if there was enough water flow for it to operate properly. I got everything cleared and the pump and motor seem OK, and the pressure gauge on the filter is reading normally. I hope the motor wasn't damaged; I had just installed a new motor last season.

So next time I'm going to just have to bite the bullet and drag out the mesh safety cover and cover the pool while we're gone so we won't have to worry about the skimmers clogging.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: How do I prep for vacation?

Thanks for the update.

The best way for us to figure out the OPTIMUM vacation guide is when we can here from folks about what went well, and what didn't.

As long as your pump didn't overheat -- and it would only take a trickle of water flow to prevent hat -- it should be fine. You'll need a new basket of course. The nasty River Birch seeds on the country club pool I service kill the kiddie pool pump basket annually!

+ Reply to Thread