+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18x36 oval inground, need to heat and cover and clean

Question 18x36 oval inground, need to heat and cover and clean

OK. Had a pool growing up, tech seems to have changed a lot!

Am in Massachusetts -- Boxborough to be specific.

Pool is an inground 18x36 SeeBlue installed in 2000 or so. Not sure of the depth and thus the water capacity.

Pool has a non-functional EUS PE52 Mark 6 heat pump.

No cover, Polaris 165 skimmer that has its front wheel taped up and a float hose that's too long.

Pump is a Hayward Super Pump C48K2N143B1, 1 HP, VOLTS-115/230, AMPS-15.0/7.5, HZ-60, SF-1.1, 0.75 KW, 3450 RPM

Biggest questions:
    1) solar covers seem out of favor, but heat loss at night here will be bad, so I think I should get one -- type? color? mils?
    2) pool robot -- which kind? don't want to spend summer vacuuming like I did as a kid if possible
    3) autoreel for cover? inground automatic cover?
    4) heat pump heater +/- solar heater. cost? diy options?

Thanks,
    Anand

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: 18x36 oval inground, need to heat and cover and clean

I'll address a couple of your questions and let someone else help with the remaining ones.

1) Solar covers definitely make a difference. They keep you from losing heat overnight. Otherwise, you never make any headway. As far as what to buy, this has been tossed around multiple times on the forum and the consensus has been that it doesn't really matter. Whether you buy a cheap or an expensive one, you're probably going to get about 3 seasons out of it before it needs replaced. I typically just go to Lowe's and buy what they stock. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg and works fine.

2) I'll let someone else offer opinions about inground robotic vacs. There are a few reviews in our section of the forum called 'Pool Cleaning: Manual or Automatic' that may be helpful.

3) I don't have any info about inground automatic covers. I have a 27ft AG and I use a Solar Roller Coverstick for my pool. It works pretty well and can be used on a round or rectangular pool. www.solarroller.com

4) Many of us use solar panels. When you combine that with a solar cover, it makes a big difference in your water temp. I have used FAFCO for quite a few years and have been very happy with it. There are some pictures of my set up in the following thread if you are interested in seeing it. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...374#post118374

If you want to search, use this link:> http://pool9.net/search/ That will search the entire forum plus our sister website www.poolsolutions.com.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the Pool Forum!

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy the links and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: 18x36 oval inground, need to heat and cover and clean

. . . membership upgraded.

+ Reply to Thread