+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame Pool

Smile Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame Pool

Just got this pool setup. I am making my first post here on this forum for more info on maintenance. I also have a small amount of water under the pool. I didn't see the water level drop overnight but the water remains under the pool. It's a very small amount and the guy at the pool store said a little could be normal as the ground was a bit wet when I setup the pool. I laid down 2 heavy duty thick tarps. I didn't think the water could go through the tarps. The guy at the pool store gave me a bag of salt to spread around and said that could help fix any small leaks from the pool settling. What do you guys think? Also can someone point me to the maintenance link?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame Pool

Quote Originally Posted by bdearen View Post
    The guy at the pool store gave me a bag of salt to spread around and said that could help fix any small leaks from the pool settling. What do you guys think?
    That's one we haven't heard before and we've heard a lot of stupid things that people are told by their 'pool store supposed experts!'

I'll let someone else address your question about the water under the liner but can help you get the chemistry started.

1. What kind of pool is it? What is the volume?
    2. What size pump and what kind and size of filter?
    3. Exactly what all have you added to the pool, meaning ingredients and not just product names like 'shock.'
    4. What does the water look like?
    5. Do you have a drops-based test kit? If so, what kind? Post current numbers.

If you don't have a good drops-based test kit:
    The test kit that we think is by far the best is the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). Not available locally but you can get it through this link that takes you to Amazon: http://pool9.net/tk/

But, in the meantime, go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (no test strips!) and get that. If they don't, get an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) instead. Use it to test and then post your numbers. Also while you are at WallyWorld, get several jugs of their generic 8.25% bleach and a couple of boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle).

We have a Super Simple Start-up Recipe that would perfect for you to use to get your chemistry going. You can read about it here:>
    http://pool9.net/ssr/

Repost with requested info and then someone here can try and help you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

Sorry I found all this info sticky after I posted my question. Intex 16 x 48, Klear Water Filter 1500 Gph I think. Just filled it up and the kids are playing. I will test tomorrow and post back. Lots and lots of info on this forum it's great.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

. . . membership upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by bdearen View Post
    The guy at the pool store gave me a bag of salt to spread around and said that could help fix any small leaks from the pool settling. What do you guys think?
    What I think is, "At least you didn't pay for it!".

So few issues. I filled my pool before I found this forum so I just started using your dosing guides.

I am waiting on my Taylor test kit but have some strips I got from the pool store. They are 7 way test strips. They are hard to read but everything is in the OK range except FC which appears to be at 0. I understand straight bleach wears off very fast because if the sun. My pool is in direct sunlight all day and temps are almost 100 degrees here in Southern California. I have a floating feeder so should I continue adding doses of bleach and borox in addition to the floating feeder? I had a ton of kids swimming here this weekend the day after I filled it. I just added some pool shock that came with the pool today.

Your guide says to add dichloral every day. Do I do this in addition to my floating feeder that has chlorine 3" tabs in it?? And do I just dump the granules of dichloral directly into the pool or sprinkle them around?? The granules seem to stick to the bottom.
    5.8k gal 16' x 48" Intex Ultra, Krystal Clear 1500GPH Pump. PF=21

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Dichlor should dissolve almost instantly. Check your label -- some people are packaging granular trichlor as shock, and IT will not dissolve instantly.

If you have plain undiluted dichlor (56% available chlorine!), I'm surprised. But try dissolving it in a bucket of pool water for a few minutes before pouring it into the pool.

Do *NOT* let your chlorine be zero!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

How many trichlor tabs did you buy? Are they wrapped or unwrapped?

OK so update. I added in a bottle of CYA (conditioner) and 1 bag of shock last night. I have 2 floating dispensers with trichlor tabs in both. I tested this morning and everything was in perfect range. My question to you wonderful people here is can I just keep the floaters filled with the trichlor tabs full time without adding anything else to my pool? Obviously test each week to make sure everything is in order. The tabs I am using say 93% trichlor + 5% other ingredients = 84% chlorine. I have 4 kids that are out for summer break and will use this pool almost daily. My second question is would it be a good idea to drop a cup of bleach and a cup of borax in the night before I know the pool will get heavy use like a weekend ect.. ?? I want to keep the costs down as much as possible with this pool as I didn't understand the costs/maintenance associated with this thing before I purchased it and filled it thanks again for helping all of us.

The tabs are not wrapped. I have a bucket of 3" tabs I have in one floater (2 in each time) and I have a small floater with 1 " tabs neither were wrapped. I think I need to make sure my CYA is up to the correct level so I am not losing chlorine in the sun light correct?

You're going to have to get a K2006 test kit, and monitor your CYA levels. For every 10 ppm of chlorine added, trichlor adds about 6 ppm of stabilizer. http://pool9.net/tk/

+ Keep your chlorine level at at least 10% of your CYA (stabilizer) level.

+ Trichlor also adds acid; use borax to keep the pH above 7.

+ Using bleach as a 'shock' will decrease the rate at which your CYA ppm rises.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    You're going to have to get a K2006 test kit, and monitor your CYA levels. For every 10 ppm of chlorine added, trichlor adds about 6 ppm of stabilizer. http://pool9.net/tk/

+ Keep your chlorine level at at least 10% of your CYA (stabilizer) level.

+ Trichlor also adds acid; use borax to keep the pH above 7.

+ Using bleach as a 'shock' will decrease the rate at which your CYA ppm rises.
    thank you for the information. I am having a small issue here. Everytime people use the pool the free chlorine drops to 1 or 0. Everything else is testing fine and I can fix this problem by using hypochloritie shock but that is expensive to use every few days. Is there something else I can do to keep the chlorine level up even when people use the pool? I have 2 feeders floating with trichlor tablets.

+ Reply to Thread