+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Our First Pool -- Intex 9 x 12

Smile Our First Pool -- Intex 9 x 12

This is going to be our first pool so I want to make sure I get things right from start. We ordered our pool online and it won't arrive until July 1 so I want to start getting ready now. We bought an Intex 18 x 9 x 52 rectangular pool. I filled out the pool chart as best I could going by the product specs from the web site so it's not totally complete. Any advice/directions would be greatly appreciated.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Our First Pool

You are so smart researching and getting your information before the pool arrives. I would suggest doing a lot of reading here on the forum and over on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com.

One thread in particular to read is our Super Simple Start-up Recipe as it will help you get the chemistry in line very easily. You can read about it here:> http://pool9.net/ssr/

I would also suggest that you go ahead and order a Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy) test kit. You won't be able to find it locally, but can order it through this link:> http://pool9.net/tk/

Hope this helps. Come back if you have more questions and we will try and answer them for you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

(Until your registration is completed, you won't be able to follow those links or see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy those links and then paste them into a browser window after you log out.)

Thank you so much for the helpful tips. I will definitely check out the recipe and see about ordering the test kit. I will definitely be doing a lot of reading as well as I want very much to get things right the first time. :-)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Good deal. We'll be here if you need us!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Go ahead and start site prep, NOW. The pool site should be about 12' x 15' and should be LEVEL. Not nearly level, but actually level.

Maybe 5% of Intex pools have problems. Intex will eventually honor warranties, but it's MUCH easier to return the pool during the 30-day window Amazon or Walmart have. But you need to be ready to put your pool up right away, and start using it, so any defects will show up before the 30 days are gone.

. . . membership upgraded.

Smile Re: Our First Pool -- Intex 9 x 12

I would but that is going to be my husband's job. He's a construction worker, mainly industrial electrician and instrument tech, but he's had to do lots of other things through the years including leveling ground so he's borrowing the equipment he needs from work to get the leveling exactly right. He's a stickler for everything being as perfect as possible. He will be home July 2, so on the 3rd we will pick up the pool and get started. In the meantime, I am trying to learn as much as possible about maintenance and care as that will be mainly my job. I have done some reading on various sites and even watched a few videos on YouTube where people messed things up so I know that we will need to make sure to get the pads for the braces level on the ground. The main thing I am wondering about is what the best practice would be on putting down sand and either a ground cover or thick black plastic. I read on one site where a guy said he put down the black plastic to make sure weeds didn't sprout and grow through the liner. I've read conflicting advice on whether you should have a half inch or one inch of sand for the base. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Our First Pool -- Intex 9 x 12

+ Sand tends to move. Only use it if you can be 100% sure that water won't run under you pool. Usually that means you have an almost flat yard that never has runoff move across it during heavy rains. Limestone sand is OK.

+ Heavy plastic (or the black/silver tarps) is OK, but trim it so that it does NOT channel water under the pool.

+ If you can don't buy the pool till the grading is done.

Thank you for the advice. My husband measured everything first before we ordered the pool. I think he pretty much knows how he's going to do it but I always like to be as well informed as I can be and then ask him if he thought of these things. I usually get a yes but occasionally I get a no. Also, I decided to go ahead and get the salt water filter system and will run it and the sand filter so should I still follow the Super Simple Recipe?

Actually, if you're going with the salt system, you'll need to

1. Order a K2006 & the AquaCheck salt strips; be sure to watch the videos BEFORE you test: http://pool9.net/tk/

The reason for this is that the SSR pretty much ignores everything except pH and chlorine, and lets the CYA float upward. You can't do that with an SWCG in play, since if your TA (alkalinity) and/or CH (calcium) are too high you can end up fouling the plates in the SWCG.

2. Run the plain SSR for 2 weeks OR until the CYA level has reached 30 ppm (the target level for the Intex SWCG units).

3. Before you turn your SWCG on, report your pH, TA, and CH levels, so we can make sure you don't have a problem.

4. Using the AquaCheck strips to bring the salt level to 3,000 ppm (Intex target level). REMEMBER that the AquaCheck strips can NOT be read directly; you must use the conversion table on the bottle.

Thank you! I will order the K2006 test kit and check to see if any of the stores around here carry the AquaCheck salt strips. Right now it seems that everyone is getting their pools ready for the 4th and even the basic test kits are sold out. My daughter and I have been checking all week to find those. I was notified by Walmart today that our pool has arrive at their store so I am going there tomorrow and see if I can see it and make sure of what all comes with it as I've seen some people who have bought an Intex pool say they include a basic test kit with it. Not sure what kind or how accurate but it may be what I have to go with if none of the stores restock before we are ready to get the pool up. My husband and I discussed it tonight when he called home and he has decided we won't even attempt to put the pool up until Saturday after the 4th. We will mainly get the ground leveled and ready for the pool in the meantime. Disappointing to the grandkids as I meant for it to be a surprise for them on the 4th but timing is just too close on us getting everything done in time. The saltwater system arrived today so I will open it up and see what I need to have for it. BTW, I made a huge miscalculation on how many gallons our pool holds. I relied on what someone said in the reviews on the pool and then found the pool volume calculator which says our pool will hold 4,848 gallons of water. I am a bit worried about the calcium level due to us having hard water. Every 3 or 4 months I have to take apart the screens, etc. on the end of our faucets, and use CLR or Lime Away on them to get rid of the buildup. And, if it would help with advising me on any problems, I just this week received our yearly water quality report from the water company so I can post those readings if need be. Also, I noticed you are saying Intex 9 x 12 but our Intex pool is 18 x 9. :-)

+ Reply to Thread