+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Readings from the Pool store

Default Water Readings from the Pool store

I took a sample of water in yesterday and this is what they got.

CYA 33
    Total Chlorine 3.3
    Free Chlorine 3.3
    pH 8.4
    Total Alk 99
    Adj Total Alk 89
    Hardness 49
    Salt 2800 (Manual says, maintain 3000 ppm)
    The pool is a 20 round by 52 inch Intex with a 1600 gph sand filter and saltwater generator and we added the Fafco 4x20 solar heater. (Side question, about how long does it take to warm the pool on good sunny days? I'm in Colorado and the evenings are still chili and the temp shows 64 degrees. Brrrr)

They told me I need 1.5 pts of Muriatic Acid to help with the pH and 14.25 lbs of calcium choloride because the water is hard. I added about 1.5 lbs of cyanuric acid 2 days ago and about a gallon of bleach to get the chlorine up as it was a little low when I tested it before taking the sample in. I only have the "guess strips" right now that came with the pool and filter. I will be ordering the Taylor 2006 before to long. Anyway just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks much.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Water Readings from the Pool store

Another pool store that likes to sell you things you don't need. Vinyl pools do NOT need calcium. Ever.

If your readings are right, (and we are always suspicious of pool store readings because, let's face it, they want you to have problems so they can sell you stuff), then you are ok with everything but that high pH. Please read this info about using muriatic acid safely:> http://pool9.net/muriatic/

Make sure you keep your chlorine in range based on your CYA level. More about that here:> http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

About the solar panel, there is no rule about how fast. It depends on how many hours of sun you get on the panel and how strong the sun is. Do you have a solar cover? If you don't, whatever heat you gain during the day will be lost at night. Using a cover with a solar panel will make it warm up MUCH faster.

Default Re: Water Readings from the Pool store

He used a computer program to read the water, don't know if that makes a difference or not. It printed out the readings, but I know what your saying about the pool store trying to sell things. I thought the calcium is for the hard water? If I don't use any would it not dry out the skin? I'll read the info your linked.

I do have a solar cover on so I guess that will help, it will just take some time I guess.

+ Reply to Thread