+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st time pool owner

Default 1st time pool owner

Hello,

I recently purchased a new home last fall that came with a pool. I have never owned or even helped any friends with their pools, so I'm pretty green when it comes to knowing how and what to do. I have been excited all winter for the weather to break so that I could begin using it. We opened the cover on June 1st, and began the process of getting everything in order. My pool is open, and seems to be ok right now, but I know I have lots to do still.

I have been reading as much as I can every day on pool info, and have visited my local pool supplier a couple of times for chemicals and water testing already. The previous owner left me an assortment of chemicals from last year, 6 bags of HTH "shock", a couple bottles of clarifiers, Alk+&- , Calcium, and a small amount of algecide. I used up all of the shock per my pool supply recommendations and started to follow their regiment. I already purchased PH-, and CYA from them too. My PH was around 8.6, now is close to 7.6. I don't remember my CYA readings, but my pool seems to be stable according to their initial and follow up testing. The water looks clear even after a few heavy rain storms. I am planning to order your recommended test kit tonight when I get home and begin doing things myself.

I stumbled upon this place a few days ago, and I'm very glad that I did so early into my learning and this pool season. I want to start following the BBB method.

My Stats:
    In ground 14x28 pool. ~3ft shallow end, ~5ft deep end.
    I'm at work right now, so I don't have the make or stats of my pump or filter (its a sand type, Hayward). My heater is a Laars Lite 2 LG 175

I can fill in the rest of the gaps when I get home. I'm excited to be a new member and look forward to learning a lot.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: 1st time pool owner

Welcome! Easy first step is go to our sister site, Poolsolutions.com, and start reading! It is easy and fun! Then read the stickies here that seem similar to your pool.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

. . . membership upgraded.

I have been reading as much information as I can handle over the last 2-3 weeks, so i might be totally confusing this site with another one. I thought that when I first registered, there was a link to a form or document that I was able to import all of my stats, like pump and filter type, pool type and dimensions, etc. I'm not sure where this information went, but I guess it was attached to my profile somehow to help with questions and such? I wasn't able to complete this because I didn't have all of my information. I wanted to complete it now, but can't find it anywhere. Can someone give me a link? Thanks.
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I just updated the record. I haven't granted read-access to users, because the form currently contains user email addresses. I've mostly used it to create signatures, like yours. I'm going to be updating it, and there is some new capability to allow form users to edit there data. I'm not sure exactly what that makes possible, but it's on my to-do.

By the way, your gallon value is very, very unusual, in that it's LESS than what I calculated. I assumed nearly square corners, and an average water depth of 4' and came up with 11,700 gallons. If you have radius corners and a small-ish 5' area, then your figures may be correct, so I didn't change them, and your PF valve is based on your gallons, not mine. (PF = ppm increase from a 100% value addition: 1 pound of cyanuric acid will increase your CYA by 12 ppm; 1 lb of chlorine gas will increase your FC by 12. Dichlor, with 61% available chlorine will give you a 7 ppm increase (0.61 x 12) )

OK, so I wasn't imagining things. That is fine to keep it read only, I just wanted to make sure my info got updated since it was unavailable at the time I started filling it out.

I just noticed my calculated volume. I agree that it seems low. That value was taken right off of a print out from the first pool store I visited this season for chemicals and water testing when I started to open. I have since found this forum and now I know better. I agree that my volume is much higher.

I recently got the bleach calculator and used it to figure out my volume, being that my depth varies from 3-5ft. I used 4.25 average to calculate and came up with around 12.5K I only use this number because my shallow end is small, I haven't measured, but its probably only 10ft, then it drops off sharply down to 5ft., over about a 3ft. span. Not sure of the radii of my corners either, but i would guess them to be ~3ft. +- 6in. Based on that info, I'm sure that recalculating is in order. Can you please adjust accordingly? Thanks.

BTW, I am glad you caught that. After following opening recommendations from my pool store I was able to successfully open a month ago. Things seemed to be ok and I have been using my pool almost every night. After reading things here, I had been using the simple 6 way HTH test and the best guess chart to keep myself as balanced as possible while waiting for my talyor kit to arrive (I wasn't able to order it until this past week). It should be waiting for me when I get home from work today. I will post numbers as soon as possible. Things should be more accurate now that I know my correct volume and will be using a proper test kit!
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

7' square => 49 sft
    7' dia circle => 38 sft
    14 x 28 => 392 sft - (49-38) => 381 sft (w/ radius corners)

volume of 3' deep 'slice' of pool: 381*3*7.46 gal/cft = 8,500 gallons

assuming deep section begins at 1/3 of 28 - 9.33'

assuming *additional* average depth of deep section is 1.25'

deep 'slice' is 14 x 18.67 x 1.25 x 7.46 = 2,400 gal

Total volume = 2,400 + 8,500 or 10.9k gallons. PF=11

+ Reply to Thread