+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green Algae, Sand Filter - Add D.E.?

Default Green Algae, Sand Filter - Add D.E.?

I have a 16x32 inground pool and cannot get rid of the green algae.

I have added tons of shock and stabilizer while running my Hayward sand filter. I was told adding a few pounds of DE could help improve the filtration. Is this true? I'm not having much luck getting rid of the green algae and I'm trying to find an efficient way, as I keep wasting time and money on chemicals without results.

Thank you.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Green Algae, Sand Filter - Add D.E.?

Don't try to add DE to the sand filter while the algae is still green (alive). Kill it first then filter the residual. Enough chlorine along with brushing and removing any solids will kill the algae. How much is enough depends on your CYA level. once you know the CYA level, you can look up the shock level of FC needed to kill the algae on the Best Guess Chart here: http://pool9.net/cl-cya/.

Don't add any more stabilizer, it makes it harder to kill the algae.

To win the battle with algae, you'll need a Taylor K-2006 (or K-2006C) testkit. Strips will not do. Most other kits will not do. You can't buy a K-2006 in a store; If you buy one through the links on this page: http://pool9.net/tk/, PoolForum gets some coin to keep the lights on.

As a trial user, you'll need to copy the links then paste them into browser after you log out.

Welcome
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Green Algae, Sand Filter - Add D.E.?

While you are waiting on the K2006, get a cheap OTO/phenol red drops kit. Make sure your pH is between 7 and 8. THEN, use plain 8% household bleach to raise your chlorine to 10 ppm OR higher => you are looking for an off-scale OTO result of orange tinted yellow. Do this EVERY evening, till the algae is *all* dead.

With a typical 16x32 IG liner pool, you've got around 20,000 gallons. So you need daily doses of bleach of (4) gallons.

-- DO NOT USE OTHER CHEMICALS, ESPECIALLY ALGAECIDES! --
    They may make things WORSE.

Do not test your pH when your chlorine is that high; test it BEFORE you add the evening dose, when it's medium yellow or below.

. . . membership updated.

+ Reply to Thread