+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dirt in pool

Hybrid View

Default dirt in pool

I notice almost everyday there is sediment (dirt) which settles on the bottom of the pool right under all the jets in my pool. What would cause the dirt to settle in those particular spots? It seems like they would be coming from the jets themselves. Can someone tell me?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: dirt in pool

Could be a lot of pollen, or something wrong with the filter. Here in the Northeast pollen has been a real problem this year. Pretty obvious by the yellowish color. How about some details on filter type, pump size, pool type and approximate location?
    BTW: I moved the post as I think this forum is a better fit.
    Al

What kind of filter do you have? That happened to me two years ago with a DE filter - had a cracked grid that was letting DE back in the pool. I have bottom returns and I got nice ring-around-the-returns. I fear I have the same again. Need to check out my filter grids again.

roddiaz1 is offline ** No working email address ** roddiaz1 0

I've been having a similar problem. I send in the Dolphin overnight and in the morning the pool looks clean, but when I get back home in the evening there is dirt in all the corners.

I empty out the Dolphin and it is a very fine silt (putty colored). I'm amazed that it keeps happening. This has happened all week.

I have a brand new sta-right DE filter. I thought it was my old Hayward Perflex that was throwing DE back into the pool, but apparently not.

I did have a bad algae problem this year when I opened the pool. It took a lot of shock (and time) to kill it all. I'm wondering how much of this is part of that.

for what it's worth my water numbers are: 6.8-7.0 pH/ 3ppm Cl/ 40 Alkalinty/ ~25 CYA (but I don't have a decent test kit yet).

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

If the dirt was in the water coming out of the jets, it seems highly unlikely that it would fall straight down and not get thrust out with the water. Maybe there's a dead spot in the water flow there and the dirt makes its way around and stops there.

I have found with pollen especially that it gets stirred up very easily so whether I vac by hand or use the aquabug, some of it gets sucked up and some of it gets stirred up into the water so no matter how clean it looks when I'm done, there always seems to be some that settles back a short while after. Hopefully the pollen season will be over soon. Right now I would just be happy with a full day of sunshine!

Peter

Red face Re: dirt in pool

Thanks all for the responses. I have a Haywood cartridge filter which we purchased a few weeks ago. I also thought of pollen. I have been cleaning the filter twice a week now because the filter is getting dirty. I was cleaning it once a week. I brush the sides and bottom of the pool every morning when the pump comes on. Otherwise the water looks great. As long as the pool water looks clean I am a happy camper. I will just keep brushing as I could use the exercise

+ Reply to Thread