+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st post: recurring brown dust on the pool bottom

Smile 1st post: recurring brown dust on the pool bottom

Hi,

I hope Im doing this 1st post right...

I have several questions, but i think i need to give my pool info 1st in another section.

I have had my above ground pool since 05. It is a 27' round echo canyon ultra, sand filter. Never had any problems till last year.. Just over going to the "pool store" to get this and that, they are hateful, and pretty much demand you buy what "the expert" says to buy..

My pool has this fine yellow/brown "dust" on the bottom, i brush or vacuum it goes away, but it comes right back. i have like these "rust" spots on the bottom. they are there and have been there.

ok, thank you! i will go over to the other section and give more info.

bare with me... I REALLY don't know "pool words"!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: 1st post: recurring brown dust on the pool bottom

Brush-able brown spots can be mustard algae, or can be dirt being forced through the filter. Persistent brown spots are often iron stains.

Steps to follow:

1. Get a K2006 kit; to manage either algae or iron . . . or your pool, you need accurate testing. => http://pool9.net/tk/

2. Do the DE test to see if your filter is 'leaking' -- this is a VERY common problem on AG pools with BIG pump and little filters. => http://pool9.net/de-test/

3. Test your stains or dirt to identify what they are. http://pool9.net/stains-id

4. Make sure your chlorine is high and your pH is between 7 and 8: you do NOT want to get algae or have other problems while you solve this one!

5. Report test results once you have them.

And, welcome! Membership upgraded!

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Brush-able brown spots can be mustard algae, or can be dirt being forced through the filter. Persistent brown spots are often iron stains.

Steps to follow:

1. Get a K2006 kit; to manage either algae or iron . . . or your pool, you need accurate testing. => http://pool9.net/tk/

2. Do the DE test to see if your filter is 'leaking' -- this is a VERY common problem on AG pools with BIG pump and little filters. => http://pool9.net/de-test/

3. Test your stains or dirt to identify what they are. http://pool9.net/stains-id

4. Make sure your chlorine is high and your pH is between 7 and 8: you do NOT want to get algae or have other problems while you solve this one!

5. Report test results once you have them.

And, welcome! Membership upgraded!
    thanks so much! I will update soon.
    Before I posted here I took my water sample to the "pool store", my print out said the alkalinity was 0, and pH was 6.9. I told the guy up front that I only wanted water tested and paid $10,he didn't try to sell me anything.
    Thanks again
    16k gal 27' round echo canyon AG pool, sand filter. PF=7

Quote Originally Posted by sunniesblair View Post
    thanks so much! I will update soon.
    Before I posted here I took my water sample to the "pool store", my print out said the alkalinity was 0, and pH was 6.9. I told the guy up front that I only wanted water tested and paid $10,he didn't try to sell me anything.
    Thanks again
    look again...10 bucks to test the water...yikes.

You are in good hands with pool doc and company now. Don't go back to the pool store...
    15,000 Gallon AG -24' round -- Vinyl Liner -- 1 HP Hayward Power Flow LX -- Sand Filter -- PF=5.5

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Honestly, $10 is a reasonable charge for a pool store performing a K2006 level test on a pool. Of course, that wouldn't be so reasonable for a test strip based test.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

It doesn't take alot of $10 to pay for a K-2006!
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread