+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HELP - Saltwater System Inital Setup - Intex 54601EG

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: HELP - Saltwater System Inital Setup - Intex 54601EG

Actually, using our Super Simple Startup Recipe would be a good way for you to begin. You need to get some chlorine in there asap, though. It doesn't take long for a pool to turn green! Recipe is here:> http://pool9.net/ssr/

I estimate your volume to be around 5600 gallons. In this size pool, each quart of 8.25% bleach will add about 3.7ppm of chlorine. You can use that as a resource to help you figure out how much to add. For now, I'd suggest adding a quart a couple times per day so you don't drop to zero. Until you start getting some CYA in there, you will lose chlorine fast. CYA (cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer) is kind of like sunscreen for your chlorine. Without enough, the chlorine is quickly lost to the sun. In fact, you may need to add bleach a couple of times per day. (Once you start building up your CYA, the chlorine will start lasting longer and adding bleach several times per day won't be necessary.)

Dichlor (in the startup recipe) will add CYA for you as it also adds chlorine. That is why it is a good choice for freshly filled pools. Most SWCG manuals have specific requirements for what level CYA is needed. I'm going to ask Dave, a member of our support team who also has an Intex pool, to chime in here on this thread and help with that information. (By the way, don't test for CYA again until you have been using dichlor for about 10 days. It won't change that fast and testing it too frequently just wastes the CYA testing reagent.)

Your CH, and TA are both a little high. If you add high pH to that mix, you can have some scaling issues. So, I am going to suggest that you lower your TA. Directions for doing that are here:> http://pool9.net/alk-step AND http://pool9.net/ma/

You won't want to use any cal-hypo at any time for your chlorine. Your calcium hardness is already pretty high.

Hope this helps. Come back if you have more questions. I'm going to ask Dave to walk you through the rest of the startup. He is more familiar with the Intex SWCG than I am. He'll be a good resource for you.

(Also, don't forget to disconnect the copper electrode on the unit.)

QiingGuy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst QiingGuy 0

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Actually, using our Super Simple Startup Recipe would be a good way for you to begin. You need to get some chlorine in there asap, though. It doesn't take long for a pool to turn green! Recipe is here:> http://pool9.net/ssr/
    When I fire-up my SWCG won't this make chlorine for me? I'm planning on turning it on in a couple hours for the first time. In the short term I just poured in a quart of bleach. ALSO, Isn't my pH dead on? Won't adding borax in the simple start-up recipe push it higher (sorry if I'm miss reading this, I'm new )

I estimate your volume to be around 5600 gallons. In this size pool, each quart of 8.25% bleach will add about 3.7ppm of chlorine. You can use that as a resource to help you figure out how much to add. For now, I'd suggest adding a quart a couple times per day so you don't drop to zero. Until you start getting some CYA in there, you will lose chlorine fast. CYA (cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer) is kind of like sunscreen for your chlorine. Without enough, the chlorine is quickly lost to the sun. In fact, you may need to add bleach a couple of times per day. (Once you start building up your CYA, the chlorine will start lasting longer and adding bleach several times per day won't be necessary.)
    I have something called "conditioner/enhancer" from Leslie's pool supplies. Active ingredients are Cyanuric acid 99%, Other ingredients 1%. Would this work?

Dichlor (in the startup recipe) will add CYA for you as it also adds chlorine. That is why it is a good choice for freshly filled pools. Most SWCG manuals have specific requirements for what level CYA is needed. I'm going to ask Dave, a member of our support team who also has an Intex pool, to chime in here on this thread and help with that information. (By the way, don't test for CYA again until you have been using dichlor for about 10 days. It won't change that fast and testing it too frequently just wastes the CYA testing reagent.)
    I guess this is a follow-up to my first question about doing the start-up recipie vs. turning on my SWCG.

Your CH, and TA are both a little high. If you add high pH to that mix, you can have some scaling issues. So, I am going to suggest that you lower your TA. Directions for doing that are here:> http://pool9.net/alk-step AND http://pool9.net/ma/
    OK

You won't want to use any cal-hypo at any time for your chlorine. Your calcium hardness is already pretty high.

Hope this helps. Come back if you have more questions. I'm going to ask Dave to walk you through the rest of the startup. He is more familiar with the Intex SWCG than I am. He'll be a good resource for you.

(Also, don't forget to disconnect the copper electrode on the unit.)
    I'll have to figure this out, maybe Dave knows.

One last question, if I follow these steps how long before we can get in the pool?
    Last edited by QiingGuy; 06-19-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

A pool without CYA isn't going to keep a chlorine reading. Even if you turn on your SWCG, you're not going to have enough chlorine to keep algae at bay. That is why you need to get your water balanced first and then turn on the unit.

You can use the conditioner. That is the right stuff. But, without knowing how high your unit needs the CYA to be, I'm not sure what amount to recommend that you add. Maybe aim for about 50ppm for now which would be around 2lbs. Put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return jet. Give the sock a squeeze every now and then to help it dissolve faster.

In the meantime, maintain some chlorine in the pool with bleach.

It is ok to swim now.

(Turns out that I was wrong-- Dave doesn't have an Intex SWCG. Not sure why I though that.)

Thank for all your help Watermom.

I spoke with the guy who I bought the pool from (this is where the conditioner came from) and he told me he'd mix it in a 5 gallon bucket until mostly dissolved then pour it in the pool which is what I'm doing now. Hope that doesn't screw things up. I suppose this method is more like pouring liquid concentrate in.

Understand what you're saying about my SWCG being useless without CYA, especially here in Vegas.

I'll keep-up the bleach per the simple start-up. However, what about the Borax? Do you agree that currently my pH level is where it should be so adding additional would push me higher than I need to be?

Thanks again for all your help!

CYA is very slow dissolving. It can take days. I hope the granules sitting on the bottom of the pool don't hurt the vinyl.

The reason for adding Borax is because Dichlor is very acidic and will drive the pH down. If you are just going to use bleach, you may or may not need the Borax. Just test and determine based on the readings.

Good luck.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I can't think of much to add; Watermom's covered it all.

In the 5 gallon bucket, I'm guessing that the CYA made more of a white slurry than a clear solution. It's really slow to dissolve. I'd wait a few days to a week before testing for CYA, as you point out there's only a couple tests in the kit.

I suggest that you spend the first couple weeks chlorinating with bleach to learn what your pool needs then start the SWCG. Please consider defeating / removing the copper ionizer unit. Copper stains the pool and sometimes swimmers.

Do you have a K-2006 or is it on the way?

@Watermom: Perhaps you remember that I kept about 3000 ppm salt in my Intex donut just for the feel.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

@BigDave - Yes, it was a white slurry solution. I let it sit in the bucket for a couple of hours and gave it a stir about ever 15 minutes. By the time I threw it in the pool the majority had dissolved. Just went out and checked on it and I'd say there's maybe 1/4 cup left sitting on the bottom so I got it to dissolve pretty quickly.

Just checked pH and Cl and I'm sitting at Cl 5 and pH 7.5. Yesterday I probably but in about 2.5 quarts of bleach.

I found the copper ionizer and I'm trying to figure out how to disconnect. I'll stick with bleach for a couple of weeks, we bought plenty. Yes, ordered the K-2006. Thanks for your input!

CYA is very slow dissolving. It can take days. I hope the granules sitting on the bottom of the pool don't hurt the vinyl.

The reason for adding Borax is because Dichlor is very acidic and will drive the pH down. If you are just going to use bleach, you may or may not need the Borax. Just test and determine based on the readings.
    Got it! I'll sit on the Borax for now. My pH is sitting at 7.5 right now so I think that's about right where I want to be, correct?

+ Reply to Thread