+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Original SWG dying?

Default Original SWG dying?

I'm still using the SWG that I got with my Intex Pool just 9 months ago which is a 18' X 48" AGP pool. It came with a SWG (Model CS8110) and a T-635 1,500 gph filter pump. I have already replaced the pump with the bigger T622 2,500 gph. It is awesome.

My water is about perfect per my K2006 test kit.

Tonight I heard my SWG beeping so I took a look and it was flashing the 91 service error (High Salt).
    I turned it off and back on and forgot about it after it ran fine for the next several minutes. I went out to test my water as usual after the SWG had run and recalled the error so I went over and look at it again. It was off now as should have been per its 3 hour run schedule but now had the red "service" light on.

I have not researched these just yet but I will in a moment. I can say I just cleaned the SWG out very nicely with vinegar about a month ago and it has no build up on it.

I had noticed that it seemed to only make the little bubbles during the first couple hours of operation each night but a bright light at night has showed none near the end of its daily cycle. When it first comes on it made plenty. Is it supposed to make bubbles/chlorine the whole time it is running?

I tested my salt though I knew it would show at 3,200 per my Taylor salt test kit and it showed exactly 3,200 as it has for the last couple of months.

How long should a well kept SWG like mine last? What should I replace it with if it is broken now? Same thing? Is there a better one that will fit my connections I already have to my filter pump? Anyone have any stories to tell me about what happened when theirs did the same thing as mine? thanks!

Is mine still under warranty? I'm looking for my paperwork starting now! Thanks all!
    7,600 gallon above ground Intex Easy Set model 10320 inflatable ring 18' X 48" rubber pool.
    Intex model T633 2,500 GPH single speed 1/2 hp filter pump.
    Rinz-N-Reuz Replacement Filter.
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O.

Default Re: Original SWG dying?

It was dead. Now I have new questions. here they are:

Cut to the chase and just read the bottom paragraph or read all of this for details:

Here are my current water specs:

FC: 8.0 (This is my minimum/target level. I usually take it up to 11 each night and lose 3.0 FC over the next 24/hrs. leaving me back at my target level.)
    CC: 0.0
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 100
    CYA: 70
    Salt: 3,200
    Borate: 50
    CH: 120

As stated in my signature, the pool is a Intex 18' x 48" round inflatable ring AG pool. See all the other pool info there too please. I just replaced the SWG a few days ago. The specs indicate the SWG can produce a max of 12 grams/hr. of chlorine output. The manual for it also indicates that I'm supposed to run it for 3 hours a day which I always have. The filter pump turns on. Then, the SWG turns on and runs for 3 hrs. and then it turns off and the filter pump turns off shortly after. I set it to boost today at about 10:00 AM. The FC was at 7.5 at that time. I checked the FC about 1 hour ago ( 7:00 PM), after had been running for about 9 hours. The FC was now at 10.0 FC. During this time the pool had 3 bathers and got rained on a few times by a sky that was overcast all day long. On a regular long, sunny and fun day in the pool, it seems to eat about 3.0 FC a day. How long to I have to run the little SWG at night at 12 grams per hour at best to produce 3.0 of FC?

I started at 7.5 FC this morning and I figure I lost 2.0 FC while my wife and kids played in the pool for much of this totally cloudy day. My math says that takes it from 7.5 FC down to 5.5 FC. Then my little SWG generated 4.5 over 9 hours to get it back up to 10.0 which is a net of 4.5 FC over a 9 hour period. That would indicate it makes 1.5 FC each 3/hrs. during the active swimmers and rainy day. Thus 3.0 FC would take 6 hours and not just 3 hrs. as the book indicates that I need for this little 5,455 gallon pool. Is that because it is summer and the book doesn't take temps into account? Temps don't matter anyways though right when it comes to how much the SWG generates? This model can only generate more by way of running longer. I'd rather not run my pump and filter 6 hours a day to get 3.0 FC added to my total FC. I thought I did everything I needed with CYA and borates and great water management to keep my pump and SWG times to a minimum. Am I missing something or does the new SWG just not work efficiently?

What is the formula? How long should it take a SWG producing 12 grams of chlorine an hour to raise the FC exactly 3.0 FC? That is what I'm wanting this one to do each night starting at about 8:00 PM.
    7,600 gallon above ground Intex Easy Set model 10320 inflatable ring 18' X 48" rubber pool.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I don't know the Intex SWCG, and I'm not the SWCG expert, but I'll bet you've been running your unit 'WAY too high! With a CYA of 70, your FC target is 3.5ppm or more, not the 5ppm -10ppm range in the Best Guess table.
    Generally, you do NOT want to depend on your SWCG solely for chlorine generation for just that reason: You shorten the salt cell's life. So you should be adding bleach or liquid chlorine when you need additional, and run the SWCG to keep the maintenance level, and no more.

I don't like to say bad things about Intex, and I won't because I happen to think they make a GREAT product for what it is: Inexpensive starter pools and equipment, even though filters tend to be inadequate. My first pool was an Intex donut and it gave us 3 great years and didn't owe us a dime. BUT...their mechanical equipment isn't robust, isn't designed for being pushed to its limits and is always a bit suspect. I suspect you've pushed your SWCG far beyond its capability.
    Carl

Agreed. Thank you for your response too. I have taken my FC back down to target of 5 and will supplement with Clorox as needed. Thanks again! I did the math too and here is what I found and a few others stepped in and helped with this also:

If I want my SWG to replenish the 3.0 FC I lose each day PoolMath dictates I need it to produce 2.2 oz of chlorine gas. There are 28.3495 grams in 1 oz of chlorine gas. If I multiply that by 2.2 oz
    it equals 62.3689 grams of Chlorine gas. I then need to divide that by the amount of chlorine my SWG can produce being 12 grams/hr which is the same as saying 62.3689 divided by 12 = 5.19 hours.
    I found my SWG can't be expected to do this. Also I need my FC to be about 5 so I run it for 3 hours and get about 1.5 FC which it is expected to produce each day. I'll add the rest myself via Clorox.

Thanks again!

The replacement SWG died too around March 1st. Intex replaced it under warranty but made me send in the old one first which cost me about $40 to get it there via 2 day ground. The new one is installed and working well so far. I bought some plastic shelving and have it inside of it by the pool. No direct sun hits in a very little rain coming in sideways touches it. I'll be doing more to keep it dry over the next week so. I'm glad to see this forum is back up. I lucked out and checked and it was up and running again. I know about the other big pool forum out there but feel that having more than one choice is good. Please keep this forum running.
    Last edited by Hermskii; 04-14-2015 at 02:00 PM.

So that's about 8 months, right? Seems like an extremely short lifespan. Maybe that's how Intex SWCG are, I don't know. However since we don't see massive numbers of people here complaining about short lives of intex SWCG I'd start looking at your electricity. Do you have frequent brownouts/power surges? It MIGHT be worth checking out. Blackouts themselves shouldn't be a big deal but a brownout or a surge would.

If you still use any incandescent light bulbs, do you have to replace them often? Do you have an unusual (in your own opinion) number of electronic failures in your house? Those can also be symptoms of power problems.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

You make an excellent point. I will do that and report here if I find anything odd. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread