+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Pool build

Default Re: New Pool build

Thanks PoolDoc. I certainly will adopt a more frequent filter cleaner from this point forward.

Ok - I did a chemical test today using my new Taylor K-2006. Below are the results.

pH - 8+ (Pool guy shows 8 for last 5 tests with 8+ on his last test)
    FC - 0.2 (Generally, pool guy always records zero weekly)
    CC - 0.4
    Cyanuric Acid - 45
    Total alkalinity - 50
    Calcium hardness - 625 (27 May pool guy recorded 250 but his last test on 16 June showed 625) Don't know what is going on here.
    Filter pressure - 9 (after cleaning filters - same as startup pressure when new)

I have been reading all the BBB Method of Pool care and found it very interesting. It appears my pH has a pool normal of about 8 as it has been at that level for over a month with weekly treatment. As I have TA, Calcium Hardness and Chlorine out of kilter however, maybe it best to reserve judgment until I get things under control.

Don't know what happened to make calcium hardness jump way up. Not sure how to read this.

I can increase alkalinity based on BBB would like some help knowing what to do with the calcium hardness spike.

Chlorine as tested by pool guy is clearly not addressing the pools needs and he has not brought me into the loop. Looks like it needs more than just weekly treatment. He adds liquid chlorine when he comes and there is a chlorine tablet dispenser in the pool. He has always used one tablet which never lasted the week and put two in last Monday. There are partial tables left in the dispenser today.

The pool is a new pool in use for two months. It is plastered gunnite. It has about 10,000 gallons in it and has a water fall and fountain. I am assuming that all the aeration keeps the pool in the pH 8 range as this has been pretty consistent for over a month. The water is clear and I run the filter about 8 hours a day with the water fall and fountain. The Kreapy Krawly runs for about 3 hours but I have cut it back to 2 hours as the bottom is perfectly clean. I clean the skimmers out ever few days and there is never much in them except insects.

Would be glad to have some help with the questions I have.

Thanks.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New Pool build

Constant aeration makes it impossible to maintain BOTH a reasonable pH (< 7.8) AND a reasonable TA (> 80 ppm). Your pH of 8 is NOT 'normal'; rather it's driven by the aeration.

The sudden spike in CH could be a testing error . . . or it could mean your very low TA is resulting in dissolving plaster! NOT GOOD!

1. Turn off your fountain and water fall, unless you are actually using the pool. You'll need to maintain some circulation in the spa. If you'll post pump, filter and piping pictures we'll see how that can be done, without so much aeration.

2. Watch the Taylor videos to make sure you are doing the test correctly. http://pool9.net/tk-guide/ Then retest TA and CH.

3. Lower your pH to just below 8.0. At the end of the pH test range of phenol red, the values you get ~6.8 or ~8.2 do NOT mean your pH is 6.8 or 8.2. Instead they mean that your water's pH is 6.8 *or* below, or else that your pH is 8.2 *or* above. However, it's worse than that, since a lot of people can't see the difference between phenol red at 8.0 vs 8.2.

If it works out that you DO want to keep your pool at 8.0 . . . you'll need to get a pH meter, so you can be sure your pH is *really* 8.0 and not something higher.

Ok, this may get confusing.

. . . or not. I tried writing a more complete explanation, but it was turning into a China Shop type post -- too complex to be useful to 99% of folks.

Here's the bottom line: we need to help you work out a way to maintain your pool without damaging your plaster OR having to constantly add chemicals.

+ Reply to Thread