I have a 35,000 gal pool, uncovered, fronting the southern Atlantic Ocean. I currently chlorinate with liquid chlorine (and it takes a lot during the hot summer months--the pool has full sun exposure).
Because of the "blow" from the ocean, the pool's natural salt content is just under 2800 ppm. I've been told there are some beachfront salt-chlorinated pools around here that need almost no salt added due to the naturally high salt content. Also, corrosion issues from salt systems seem kind of moot, as I'm dealing with it on the ocean anyway. I'm tired of constantly hauling big jugs of chlorine for the pool, and would like to be able to leave for a while without worrying about coming home to a green pool.
For these reasons I am considering converting to salt chlorination. I have been advised that a larger system, say for a 50,000 gallon pool would allow me to "up" my setting to be able to shock the pool using the salt chlorinator--but would probably involve a commercial grade unit as the biggest residential ones are 40,000 gallons. Does this make sense?
Can you advise me how to begin here?