+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panels. Which one????

Question Solar Panels. Which one????

Hi,

New guy here in CA and I am looking to get Solar Installed and have looked into 3 different companies. Any have good/bad experiences with them?

1) Heliocol - Great Warranty (12 year parts/labor) , No roof penetration

2) Fafco - Better Price and 12 year parts warranty

3) Solar Industries

Which panels are the best??? I am confused because you know how salesman are. I am asking for an unbiased opinion.

Thanks,

Danny

Default Re: Solar Panels. Which one????

I bought a set of 4x20 Sungrabber panels from ebay.

After extensive research, I opted to build my own system (including the panels themselves) from components that I bought from www.powermat.com.

I'm about 2/3 through the install; I plan on doing a full write-up when I'm finished.

pj

Quote Originally Posted by pj1016
    After extensive research, I opted to build my own system (including the panels themselves) from components that I bought from www.powermat.com.

I'm about 2/3 through the install; I plan on doing a full write-up when I'm finished.

pj
    Thats very interesting. I look forward to seeing your write up. How much total do you have invested in this project?

salinda is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher salinda 0

I have heard great things about Powermat. Looking at their website as a technical person, it all works. I would really go with them if I had it to do over again. I went with a system that is manufactured by Gull Industries in CA and I am not really happy at the moment. My dealer decided to leave the solar pool heating system and I need service and they are terrible at this. I have called Gull directly and they are no help. The initial design was actually not great.

Ken at Powermat has gone to a lot of trouble to make his designs really work. I would support his efforts if I could.
    Salinda
    owner of ~35,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Ikeric Dyna-Miser VS150 filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, The Pool Cleaner 2x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils.

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

I just bought a Fafco solar mat. I like it for two reasons: it's a single 4' x 20' mat where other companies use two 2' x 20' mats so less plumbing and 2) it has a built-in bypass valve. Also the entire mat consists of small tubes side by side so it seems like you get the maximum amount of heating for the space.

Peter

Tx for the feeback but Does anyone had any experience with Heliocol. They are offering a 12 year warranty Parts AND LABOR.

GTakacs is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst GTakacs 0

I think Heliocol is a really nice system (they used it on the 1996 Atlanta Games' pool roof to heat the Olympic pool) the only drawback is that they don't sell systems for owner builder, they only sell fully installed systems and their price is pretty steep. I'm kind of a handy guy so I'd rather isntall one myself, but if I were to pay someone I'd look at the Heliocol for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyo
    Tx for the feeback but Does anyone had any experience with Heliocol. They are offering a 12 year warranty Parts AND LABOR.
    Heliocol is one of the least efficient collectors on the market. Their big claim is that they do not cause roof rot - which is a lot of rubbish. None of the solar collectors out there (that have been around for more than 10 years) damage roofs unless they leak - then you have a problem...

For a comparison of collector efficiencies, check out the ratings at the Florida Solar Energy Center's web-site. Bear in mind that the tests results posted are the best the products can do. The tests are conducted at next to zero wind speed. THe greater the wind speed the less heat a solar collector will deliver. Collectors with exposed tubes (especially Heliocol) cool off much faster than those with no exposed tubes (like Techno-Solis).
    If you're looking for a solar system for an above-ground pool, then go with the cheaper 4' x 20' design - they only last 5 years at best. If you have an inground pool -go for a better quality product..

salinda is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher salinda 0

Quote Originally Posted by sundad
    Heliocol is one of the least efficient collectors on the market...... For a comparison of collector efficiencies, check out the ratings at the Florida Solar Energy Center's web-site. Bear in mind that the tests results posted are the best the products can do. The tests are conducted at next to zero wind speed. THe greater the wind speed the less heat a solar collector will deliver. Collectors with exposed tubes (especially Heliocol) cool off much faster than those with no exposed tubes (like Techno-Solis).
    This is sooo confusing. When I looked at the FSEC website, I found that the Heliocol is rated at 1000 btu/sq ft and the Techno-Solis is rated lower at 958/btu/sq ft. Here is the link to the site:

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/solar/testce...tr/tprpool.htm

Am I missing something?
    Salinda
    owner of ~35,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Ikeric Dyna-Miser VS150 filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, The Pool Cleaner 2x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils.

+ Reply to Thread