+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clear/brown slime in pool

Default Clear/brown slime in pool

Set up new sand filter and saltwater filtration system a few days ago.. all was well and now today there is a bunch of slimey looking clear, some brown colored stuff floating around all over and after 2 hours of cleaning I cannot get it all out... what could have caused this? I turned on the boost on the saltwater system.. maybe that will help?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Clear/brown slime in pool

I've never seen, or heard of, brown + clear slime in a pool -- so all I can do is ask questions.

Did you just fill your pool, or is this slime in 'old' water?

Did you fill from a well?

Was the water clear, and then became slimy?

Have you been testing your water? If so, what are the results?

=> On SWCG (salt water chlorine generators), "BOOST" could be accurately renamed "Let's kill the salt cell quickly"! SWCG life is directly related to 'ON' time. They work well for ROUTINE chlorination, but if you need to "boost" your chlorine it's MUCH better just to pour a gallon (or 1/4 gallon or 3 gallons) of bleach into the pool

Our pool has been set up about 2 weeks, starting with a regular chlorine filter and just 4 days ago switched to a sand filter and the saltwater system. It was clear and fine until yesterday when I noticed all the slime. We did not fill using well water, just city water. The levels have been kinda low (ph), but chlorine seemed fine. I think I will add bleach tonight. What about shock? Can you explain what exactly that does? I'm worried because we go on vacation for over a week in a couple days and I can't imagine what it will look like when we get back!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

'Shock' is usually just 'more chlorine than usual'. That's all! There is a fairly ineffective and sometime irritating non-chlorine oxidizer that's sold as shock, but that's not as common.

Going on vacation in a few day? That leaves you with hardly any options. Do this:

1. Fill out the pool equipment form ASAP => http://pool9.net/pf-equip-form Include as much make & model info as you can.

2. See if you can get an HTH 6-way drops test kit at Walmart ASAP. Some Walmarts have them; some don't. Use this link to check => http://pool9.net/hth-6way

3. Try to get a COMPLETE water test done today. If possible avoid BioGuard stores; if possible pick a store that does NOT use test strips.

4. While you're there, get 2 quarts of polyquat for every 10,000 gallons in your pool => http://pool9.net/polyquat

5. If you are not sure whether your salt system is working well, get a trichlor floater and 5 lbs of trichlor tablets for each 10,000 gallons in your pool.

6. While you are at Walmart, get 10 gallons of PLAIN 8% household bleach and 4 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax per 10K gallons.

7. Report results and info back here ASAP.

8. Tell me about the slime. Can you touch it? What does it 'feel' like? Can you photograph it? Send FULL size pics to poolforum@gmail.com

9. You're not going to get it in time for vacation, but go ahead and order a K2006. Here's the link for the direct-from-Amazon item: K2006a sold by Amazon
    Amazon is playing some shipping / stocking games, so you won't receive it immediately, but since you're leaving that won't matter. It would really help if you already had one.
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-18-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fix typo

+ Reply to Thread