+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Robotic versus other Pool Cleaners

Hybrid View

Default Robotic versus other Pool Cleaners

I've been a pool owner for about 2 years, so I'm kinda new to the "sport". However, I have been a chemical engineer with numerous related "unit operations" experiences from managing a polyethylene plant that operate at 20,000 psi to designing a wastewater treatment system that use crushed limestone and horse troughs to effectively neutralize an effluent stream. I think I have some practical and technical experience that relates to pool ownership.

So two weeks ago I bought a robotic pool cleaner, the AquaVac Tiger shark QC. The reasoning for my selection was: Internet searches, including poolforum.com, seemed to indicate the two preferred pool cleaning systems were either a pressure-side system such as the Polaris OR a robotic system. I didn't already have the booster pump or wiring that a pressure-side cleaner requires. I could have easily installed the pressure-side system myself but the cost for the robotic and pressure side systems would have been about the same and the robotic system would not put trash into the pool filter that would have required backwashing to remove. (I had been using a suction-side unit, a 10-year-old Kreepy Krauler that I inherited from my original pool user. When the suction plate and regulator for the Kreepy died and would have required $150 to replace compared to a new Kreepy for $250 (that my wife though was inadequate but I pretended was OK) a change was eminent.

Of the robotics, I chose the AquaVac Tiger shark QC because it used filter elements rather than filter bags. Internet searches indicate that cleaning the filter bags is a real drag and the filter elements are supposed to be an improvement. The QC also has a 60-minute cleaning cycle. Normally my pool stays very clean with little cleaning, so I hoped that the 60-minute cycle with the QC would be enough. I also believe that if the unit only has to operate for 60 minutes rather than 5 hours, the machine will experience less wear-and-tear and should need less maintenance.

So how has my decision to buy the AquaVac Tiger shark QC worked out? I have operated the unit twice. Some debris was left in the bottom of the pool after both cleanings. The pool cleaner, as least so far, has not offered to bring me adult beverages. The jury is still out. However, I did not make the decision without much thought. We will just have to see.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Please try not to double post and especially try not to start two threads with the same post. I have deleted the other one of them. If you have done so inadvertently , either PM one of us (PoolDoc, Poconos, Watermom, Aylad or me) or add another post to the thread asking us to remove it.

On to the robotics: I have the Dolphin Dynamic--I got it because the warranty at the time was the longest (3 years). At first the bags were a super-pain and messy, but now they are really easy since I figured out the following routine. I take a five-gallon bucket of pool water, dip the bag in, turn it inside out and squish it a few times until the water is opaque. Then I dump the water (NOT back into the pool..) and repeat. Most of the dirt is now gone, and then I toss it in the washing machine, or let it dry until another bag is dirty, then wash two. Don't put them in the dryer. Simple! The Dolphin rarely leaves any debris, other than at spring opening when I have to run it 4 times to get the pool clean, so I am VERY happy with it. It doesn't have that one hour cycle, which is nice, but I'll run it overnight or in the morning when everyone is going off for the day.

Your Tiger Shark doesn't bring you beer and rum&coke? I'd have it checked if I were you---All the others do that as a matter of course!
    Last edited by CarlD; 04-01-2006 at 11:22 AM.
    Carl

Default re: Robotic versus other Pool Cleaners

I recently purchased the Dolphin Dynamic and very much appreciate the cleaning tip in the prior post. This robot cleans pretty good. The only thing that bothers me is that it tends to "blow" the leaves out of its path before running over the area. My pool water is currently about 65 degrees. Will this work better in warmer water? Are there any adjustments, e.g., increase in suction power, etc.
    Bill Marshall

CarlD

How long have you had your Dolphin? I am leaning towards that one. They are so expensive though I am hoping it will last me at least 5 years.
    Also, is there a difference in the diagnostic vs the dynamic other than the remote and caddy? About how much does it weigh?

LD
    Last edited by luvapool; 04-01-2006 at 09:45 PM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by luvapool
    CarlD

How long have you had your Dolphin? I am leaning towards that one. They are so expensive though I am hoping it will last me at least 5 years.
    Also, is there a difference in the diagnostic vs the dynamic other than the remote and caddy? About how much does it weigh?

LD
    Whew! Lotta questions. My Dolphin is now 2 years old. No problems. I believe the Dynamic has, in addition to the caddy and the remote, better software. The caddy is an over-priced POJ where the wheels don't work very well, but it is still very useful for moving and storing not only the Dolphin, but its power supply. The remote allows you to establish parameters of your pool's dimensions, whether you want it to climb the walls, and how long a cycle. In addition you can run it manually.

How much does it weigh? I dunno--less than a 5 gallon bucket of water by a long shot, but it's still fairly heavy.

Will it last 5 years? It D*** well better! So far, though, it's been pretty good.
    Carl

Sorry for all the questions but thanks! One last question Does using the robotic cut down on your filtering time as most claim to do?
    Last edited by luvapool; 04-02-2006 at 09:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread