+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool Pilot Questions

Default Pool Pilot Questions

Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of installing a Pool Pilot Digital but I have a couple of questions:

I know over sizing is recommended but would an RC-52 be overkill for my 25,000 gal pool or would an RC-42 be more appropriate?

I have a vinyl liner pool and have basically ignored my calcium level which is very low (30). I see Autopilot recommends a range of 200-400. Is being below that range an issue?

If I have to raise my calcium level does the salt have any effect on calcium levels? Should I add the salt first then raise calcium or vice versa?

Does anyone know how big the manifold is? I plan on putting the unit where my inline feeder is now and would like to know if it will fit there. The manual does not list the size or any other install instructions other than it should be upright and the last thing before the return.

I plan on installing myself so does anyone have any low price/reputable dealer recommendations?

Numbers:

FC-3.0
    CC-0
    TC-3.0
    PH-7.3
    Alk-90
    Cal-30
    Cya-70
    Temp-84

Equipment:

Weatherking 18x36 Vinyl Liner Inground 25,000 gals
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP
    Hayward Vari-flo Multiport Valve
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE3620 DE Filter
    Heat Siphon SX5.0HP Heat Pump
    Rainbow 320 Inline Feeder

Thanks

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: Pool Pilot Questions

I don't know much about the SWCGs, so I'll let some one else answer that. How is your pool water being tested? Pool Store, guess strips, oto/phenol red, FAS-DPD?

I can tell you that with a CYA level of 70, you want to keep you chlorine ABOVE 5ppm at ALL times. This explains why. http://pool9.net/cl-cya/
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

I'm curious.....

I noticed the Pool Pilot is much more expensive than the Hayward Aqua Rite. Any particular reason you chose the Pool Pilot over the Aqua Rite?

Btw, I have an Aqua Rite and have been happy with it.

To answer your question, the more you oversize the cell, the longer it will last. I use a 40k gal rated cell, the largest Aqua Rite offered at the time, for my 20k gal pool.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    How is your pool water being tested? Pool Store, guess strips, oto/phenol red, FAS-DPD?

I can tell you that with a CYA level of 70, you want to keep you chlorine ABOVE 5ppm at ALL times. This explains why. http://pool9.net/cl-cya/
    Both oto and Fas-Dpd. I have been using one of Ben's PS233 kits for years. I just keep refilling the reagents.

At the start of the season I trickle feed triclor supplemented with bleach until my CYA reaches around 70. After that I maintain chlorine in a 3 to 5ppm range. I've been doing so for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    I'm curious.....

I noticed the Pool Pilot is much more expensive than the Hayward Aqua Rite. Any particular reason you chose the Pool Pilot over the Aqua Rite?

Btw, I have an Aqua Rite and have been happy with it.

To answer your question, the more you oversize the cell, the longer it will last. I use a 40k gal rated cell, the largest Aqua Rite offered at the time, for my 20k gal pool.
    I'm leaning towards the Pool Pilot since the RC-52 is rated for 50,000 gals, which is twice my pool capacity. The largest Aqua Rite cell is rated at 40,000 gals, which is about 1 1/2 my pool capacity. If a 40,000 gal cell would be adequate for my pool then I would have a choice between the two systems. My decision would then be based upon build quality. From what I've been reading it seems the Pool Pilot has fewer complaints. However I'm wondering if fewer people use the Pool Pilot due to the added cost resulting in a fewer number of posted complaints.
    18x36 Vinyl Liner Inground 25,000 gals, Hayward 1.5HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid DE3620 DE Filter, Heat Siphon SX5.0HP Heat Pump, Pool Pilot Digital - SC-52 SWCG, PS233 Test Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    Both oto and Fas-Dpd. I have been using one of Ben's PS233 kits for years. I just keep refilling the reagents.

At the start of the season I trickle feed triclor supplemented with bleach until my CYA reaches around 70. After that I maintain chlorine in a 3 to 5ppm range. I've been doing so for years.

I'm leaning towards the Pool Pilot since the RC-52 is rated for 50,000 gals, which is twice my pool capacity. The largest Aqua Rite cell is rated at 40,000 gals, which is about 1 1/2 my pool capacity. If a 40,000 gal cell would be adequate for my pool then I would have a choice between the two systems. My decision would then be based upon build quality. From what I've been reading it seems the Pool Pilot has fewer complaints. However I'm wondering if fewer people use the Pool Pilot due to the added cost resulting in a fewer number of posted complaints.
    I just saw Pool Pilot also offers a CC15 version rated for 67k gal.! I wonder how long that cell would last?

If the price difference between the 40k cell and 50k cell isn't a factor for you, I'd go for the 50k unit.

I have a coworker who uses the same unit I do, but her pool is about 30k gal. We've both owned our pools about 10 years. I'll ask her about how much time she gets from her 40k gal cell and let you know.

Btw, I got 4 seasons out of my first cell, but I didn't know any better and was using it to "super chlorinate" my pool. I learned here that I should only use it maintain CL levels. Doing that I'm on season 7 with the second cell.
    Last edited by JimK; 06-16-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

I just saw Pool Pilot also offers a CC15 version rated for 67k gal.! I wonder how long that cell would last?

If the price difference between the 40k cell and 50k cell isn't a factor for you, I'd go for the 50k unit.

I have a coworker who uses the same unit I do, but her pool is about 30k gal. We've both owned our pools about 10 years. I'll ask her about how much time she gets from her 40k gal cell and let you know.

Btw, I got 4 seasons out of my first cell, but I didn't know any better and was using it to "super chlorinate" my pool. I learned here that I should only use it maintain CL levels. Doing that I'm on season 7 with the second cell.
    Thanks for the info. From what I've been reading 7 seasons sounds pretty good. I would be very interested in your co-worker's experience with the unit. Considering my pool is exactly in the middle between yours and hers it should give me a rough idea on how long a 40k cell would last.

How many hours per day and at what percentage do you run your unit? Also, have you had any problems with the Aqua Rite?

Thanks
    18x36 Vinyl Liner Inground 25,000 gals, Hayward 1.5HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid DE3620 DE Filter, Heat Siphon SX5.0HP Heat Pump, Pool Pilot Digital - SC-52 SWCG, PS233 Test Kit

Thanks for the info. From what I've been reading 7 seasons sounds pretty good. I would be very interested in your co-worker's experience with the unit. Considering my pool is exactly in the middle between yours and hers it should give me a rough idea on how long a 40k cell would last.

How many hours per day and at what percentage do you run your unit? Also, have you had any problems with the Aqua Rite?

Thanks
    I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I keep records of maintenance and repairs. When I get home I'll look it up for you and report back.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Is your heat pump salt water compatible? It looks like it should be but I found no such statement on the website.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thanks
    I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I keep records of maintenance and repairs. When I get home I'll look it up for you and report back.
    A bit of info for you:

My coworker said they've replaced the cell once in the past 10 years (31k gal IG vinyl pool). My appologies, but I didn't think to ask her about runtime. She did say they had to replace the display board a couple weeks ago.

I'd have to look at my records, but it seems I'm running mine a little higher this season. It could be my cell is showing it's age and may have to be replaced this season. I'll get more details for you this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Is your heat pump salt water compatible? It looks like it should be but I found no such statement on the website.
    Yes. It has a titanium heat exchanger with a lifetime guarantee against corrosion. I've had mine since 2003. http://www.heatsiphon.com/2006websit...4nolimits.html

A bit of info for you:

My coworker said they've replaced the cell once in the past 10 years (31k gal IG vinyl pool). My appologies, but I didn't think to ask her about runtime. She did say they had to replace the display board a couple weeks ago.
    I'd have to look at my records, but it seems I'm running mine a little higher this season. It could be my cell is showing it's age and may have to be replaced this season. I'll get more details for you this evening.
    Thanks. I appreciate the info.

+ Reply to Thread