+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: really cloudy water

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: really cloudy water

You can ignore the BR (BROMINE) number of the test kit. Add a box of borax SLOWLY to the skimmer, if you have one. If not you can just pour it around the pool. Also put a quart to quart and a half bleach in. Borax and bleach don't react badly so you can do one right after the other. About an hour after adding Borax, check your pH again and keep adding 1/2 box at a time until your pH is at least 7.2, low pH can damage liners.

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

alrighty, added 1 full box of borax and quart and a half of the bleach and readings are as follows exactly 1 hr after
    ph 7.8 according to my eyes
    ph 8.2 according to my husbands eyes
    CL 1.5 we both agree
    12k gal 24' x 4' deep ft round AG vinyl pool, sand filter. PF=10

What does your water look like now? Any green tint at all? I'd probably add at least another quart of bleach if there has been NO GREEN for 2 days. If there's been any trace of green, I'd go 2 more quarts. Have you dome the DE test? http://pool9.net/de-test/

Many of the local Walmarts stock this
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-D.E-Fi...10-lb/20434370
    The picture is WRONG. Description is accurate.
    Last edited by Pappy; 06-16-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: correct spellong
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

I Haven't had any green in over a week if not longer, my pool water is clean, it's REALLY blue, just very cloudy, I have not done a DE test, I have pretty good pressure when it's running and when I backwash......my issue is getting the water to clear

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I deleted my irrelevant post -- I'd had this thread open for several hours, and didn't refresh before I posted.

Anyhow, good on the pH. It's a bit high, but it may drop and it's not an urgent problem in any case.

that's fine PoolDoc totally understandable, what should my next step be as to getting the water to clear up, it really is a beautiful blue but cloudy beautiful blue. My funds have are beginning to get depleted just on the pool alone
    But I am determined to get my lil ones swimming

If you put about 1/4 cup of DE into the skimmer and it doesn't shoot out of the returns, you know your filter is working, and will eventually get the pool cleaned up. The DE will help your filter work better, but you'll have to backwash more often. I always add a little DE to my skimmer after I backwash. Also, if the water is clear enough that you can see the bottom, it's fine to go swimming. Dead algae is harmless to people and keeping it stirred up helps get it into the filter. Just be sure you can't loose sight of someone in the cloudy water.

Pappy

no we cannot see the bottom at all

OK. Try the DE. It is about $11 for 10 lbs in the Dallas Tx area. That much will last you - on your current pool - for about 60 years (OK, maybe not really 60, but really MANY years), and it doesn't ever go bad.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The DE is a good idea, but watch the pool return, where water re-enters the pool. If you see DE being sprayed out into your pool, your filter probably needs more sand.

+ Reply to Thread