+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool Installation on a Slope

Default Pool Installation on a Slope

Hey everyone! Glad to finally have registered after lurking this forum for the past week. Here's my situation, and I hope I can provide enough relevant info to help you help me. If not, lemme know what you need to know and I will provide! Another thing you should know is that this kinda thing isn't really my forté, so I'm an absolute beginner (something tells me you get that a lot in this forum, though).

The pool I bought is a ProSeries 16' X 48" metal frame above ground swimming pool. I also bought a Gorilla Pad. The area I chose for installation is at a slope, which I'm guessing (the slope) is ~1' higher at the high point compared to the low point. Here's what's happened since the project started:

- Tilled and attempted to level the ground
    - Was initially convinced the ground was level, so put down the Gorilla Pad and set up the pool, filled it with 1" of water
    - Found the water pooling to one side of the pool, which means the ground is not level
    - The pool is currently sitting outside. We've had rain the past few days and is still raining, so haven't been able to get out and continue this project

Once the rain lets up, my plan is to drain the pool and level the ground. However, in searching the net to make sure I have all my ducks lined up in a row, I found a few things I didn't consider before putting up the pool:

- I didn't really tamper the ground
    - I never considered surface water drainage

I really want to do this right, so I have a few questions for you all:

1. What is the best but most inexpensive way I can tamper the ground?
    - I read using hand tampers is not recommended for an above ground pool setup in leveling ground. I do have a riding lawnmower I can use to hook something up to the rear if there's anything like that that exists, but I've also read I can rent things like a jumping jack tamper at a hardware store. I guess I just need a push in the right direction.
    2. The drain plug for this pool is higher than the water level. Is the best way to drain this pool to use a bucket or some other container and scoop it out? Something tells me there's a better way.
    3. On the topic of surface water drainage, how would I go about doing something like this?
    - The high point of my pool area has about a 1' drop from the grass to the ground that I've been working in. I've read that I need to put up a retaining wall. I know nothing about this. I guess I'm looking for a push in the right direction here, too.

I can provide pictures of anything that you need as long as it's possible. Keep in mind my pool is up right now, so I can't take pictures of anything beneath the pool. Thanks so much in advance for your help! Happy to be here

-Dan

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Installation on a Slope

+ HRDennis pointed out, in similar thread, that Home Depot rents "jumping jacks" (or 'whaley packers', as they were called when I was a journeyman plumber). Both Home Depot and Lowes sell hand tamps.

+ A sump pump is probably the best way to drain the pool, and will be useful to you, as long as you have that pool. I was going to give you an Amazon link for an example and then suggest you go to General Tools, but the Amazon pump is as cheap, and much better rated:
    Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump
    + Building a low retaining wall has become MUCH easier, since they introduced these interlocking block, a number of years ago:
    http://www.lowes.com/Outdoors/Pavers.../N-1z0wga9/pl#!

Lowes even has instructions:
    http://www.lowes.com/projects/garden...g-wall/project

Thanks for the tips, Ben! Funny thing is I've drained it twice since I last posted because it just wasn't level! We currently have it drained and set aside. Pictures of my (hopefully) soon-to-be pool area are at the bottom of this post (I didn't insert them 'cause they'd stretch the page). Here's what's happened since my last post:

- After it was drained the first time, we tried our best to fill in the dips on the land with dirt and rented a compactor/power tamper from our local hardware store.
    - Everything was compacted, but there were still some deep dips. I had to return it because I ran out of rental time and it would've taken too long to try to get it level and compact it some more. I tampered as much as I could though.
    - After returning the compactor, I got some more dirt and filled in the obvious dips high enough so that I know that the weight of the pool would pack down those areas some in hopes that it would level itself out.
    - I re-positioned the pool and refilled it to about 4" this time to allow sufficient weight for the higher areas to get packed down some.
    - This didn't work. The water was still pooling in other areas.
    - Drained it the second time by siphoning it, then moved it aside to reveal the land

Although I appreciate the links to things I can buy, a huge problem is that this pool has gotten to be a much bigger investment than I'd initially planned. I'm willing to do as much work as needed if it means I can get some results without having to spend much more, if any at all. So here's where I'm at right now and what I'm wondering:

1. I definitely need to get the ground level. Can anyone provide a link to a recommended video or guide on how to best level the ground?

2. Pictures #1 and #2 show the low part of the slope, and also show what I think would be a big problem area, especially down the line. How can I make it so that this isn't a problem down the line, but for free or VERY cheap (preferably free; like I said, I'm willing to do extra work if it's free)?

3. Pictures #3 and #4 show the high part of the slope. Does anyone notice anything that I'm not seeing that I'll need to do before attempting to level the ground?

4. I don't think I'll be re-renting that compactor (I just can't afford it). Let's say I get the ground level, but it's not compacted after I've gotten it level (remember, the ground is currently mostly compacted from when I last rented the compactor a few days ago). Would not tampering the ground at this point be really bad news? Is it worth it that much to re-rent the compactor and do it again?

5. When all's said and done, would it be recommended to have the pool's legs standing on cinder blocks? Will this increase stability (please look at the pictures to get an idea of my specific situation) or is it just not worth it?

Thanks SO much for the response so far, and I hope I can get this figured out as I'd hate to have to call it quits and sell the thing (I've considered that a few times)!

PICTURE #1

PICTURE #2

PICTURE #3

PICTURE #4

Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-18-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: fix pix
    5.1k gal Summer Escapes Pro Series 16' X 48" AG pool

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Rather than cinder blocks, you might want to use the 12" x 12" x 2" patio blocks. You'll have to sink them flush with the dirt -- maybe leave them a bit high, since I'm not really sure how stable that dirt might be.

A couple of other points:

=> It's common to put a cheap tarp under the pool, and cut it to fit. That might help stabilize the dirt IF you make sure to cut off all the extra, so the tarp does NOT channel rain water under the pool!

=> You want to make SURE that rain water does not run around the circle. Once the pool is up, you may want to mound the dirt along the upper edge, so rain water is channeled around the pool rather than under it.

Thanks, Ben! So the patio blocks you're talking about, you mean these that I found at Lowes? If so, I'd really only have to buy as many as there are legs on the pool then, right?

=> It's common to put a cheap tarp under the pool, and cut it to fit. That might help stabilize the dirt IF you make sure to cut off all the extra, so the tarp does NOT channel rain water under the pool!
    So would stabilizing the dirt eliminate the need to tamper the ground? I guess I'm trying to figure out how this would benefit me in the long run. Keep in mind, I have a Gorilla Pad that I put down first. Right on top of the Gorilla Pad, I place down the tarp that came with the pool, then the pool goes on top of the tarp. This is how I'd set it up both times before I've had to drain it. So if I do what you're suggesting, can I still use the Gorilla Pad or would I need to leave it out of the equation the next time I set it up?

=> You want to make SURE that rain water does not run around the circle. Once the pool is up, you may want to mound the dirt along the upper edge, so rain water is channeled around the pool rather than under it.
    Can you explain what you mean by "make sure the rain water does not run around the circle?" I guess this whole part kinda threw me off.

Do you have any links or guides I can access for instructions on any of this and any other of my questions in my last post? Also Ben, what do you think about the huge dip on the outer/lower edge of the circle in pictures #1 and #2? I can't leave it like that, can I? If not, is there a way I can secure that for free?

Thanks for your response

Yes, block under the legs only.

What I was talking about is that you do NOT want water making a channel either UNDER or AROUND the pool. Since you are on a slope, and runoff will head right for the pool, you have to re-direct it, somehow.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

We have a slope, too. We built a retaining wall around the pool, leaving enough space to walk around the perimeter of the pool. We buried a piece of flexible corregated perforated pipe in this space and directed the water away from the pool. I don't know what you call it, but there is some kind of a cloth sleeve that the pipe was put inside. It lets water in but keeps dirt out. Then, we covered the pipe with rocks. It seems to have worked as we have never had an issue with water.

There are some pics in the following thread that were taken when we replaced the pool a couple of years ago. You can't see the drainage pipe, but you can see the retaining wall.

http://pool9.net/wm-pool-advent/
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-17-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: to add link

Ah, I see what you mean. Can you elaborate on "somehow?" Maybe more pictures will help, but that's kind of where I was coming from with my original question, what are my options on re-directing the water based on my environment?

PICTURE #5
    http://i.imgur.com/MeaD9DX.jpg

PICTURE #6
    http://i.imgur.com/qzn8jEN.jpg

Also, what did you mean by your tarp explanation in your earlier post? Are you saying it'll help to compact the ground so that the un-tampered areas won't need to be tampered? Thank you again for your input

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

the easiest way I know of to check for level is to use a STRAIGHT 2X4 and a level. For a 16' pool, get a 10' 2"X4" and drill a 1/2" hole about 1' from one end. This will give a bout a 1' perimeter around the pool that has been leveled which will ease setting the blocks for the legs.
    Drive a stake in the center of the pool area
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_17199-157-05...r|1&facetInfo=
    then fit the stake through the hole in the board. You can now rotate the board around the circle with a level on top of the board. This will show low and high spots and over all level (or lack thereof) of the area. A 9" torpedo level would work, but a 2" level would be better.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-2...1?N=5yc1vZc1zq

Good Luck!

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    We have a slope, too. We built a retaining wall around the pool, leaving enough space to walk around the perimeter of the pool. We buried a piece of flexible corregated perforated pipe in this space and directed the water away from the pool. I don't know what you call it, but there is some kind of a cloth sleeve that the pipe was put inside. It lets water in but keeps dirt out. Then, we covered the pipe with rocks. It seems to have worked as we have never had an issue with water.

There are some pics in the following thread that were taken when we replaced the pool a couple of years ago. You can't see the drainage pipe, but you can see the retaining wall.

http://pool9.net/wm-pool-advent/
    Thank you! This wall looks really nice. I do have a question though. When it rains, does the water not get between the retaining wall and the ground that's against it? Is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    the easiest way I know of to check for level is to use a STRAIGHT 2X4 and a level. For a 16' pool, get a 10' 2"X4" and drill a 1/2" hole about 1' from one end. This will give a bout a 1' perimeter around the pool that has been leveled which will ease setting the blocks for the legs.
    Drive a stake in the center of the pool area
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_17199-157-05...r|1&facetInfo=
    then fit the stake through the hole in the board. You can now rotate the board around the circle with a level on top of the board. This will show low and high spots and over all level (or lack thereof) of the area. A 9" torpedo level would work, but a 2" level would be better.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-2...1?N=5yc1vZc1zq

Good Luck!

Pappy
    You're awesome! This is really detailed. I was using an old 2x4 I got from my brother-in-law's remodel, and taped a 2' level to it already, but I just found out it's not straight, so I think I'll go buy a 10' 2x4 and a stake to do this right.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how I can re-direct rain/pool water runoff? Preferably with links to the products (or instructions for a free option)?

+ Reply to Thread