+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New pool owner solves severe backswimmer bug problem with quat algaecide

Default Re: Hello everyone! New pool owner having severe bug problems!

Thanks for the replies. I dont have any pool lights. The algaecide they recommended was the Regal brand "Algaecide 50" -- here's the product label on Kelly.

Also, the triazicide is a broadcast granule for the yard. Not putting it in the pool! Here is the one i used:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...la=pla_1126828

Hopefully a skimmer will pull in the dead bugs while they are floating, instead of them all sinking to the bottom and having to vacuum/scoop.

Thanks
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-01-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: replaced links with product name (ebay links die quickly)
    10K gal Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame AGP. PF=12

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New pool owner solves severe backswimmer bug problem with quat algaecide

Thanks. Turns out that's a rather standard quat, "Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride" AKA Benzalkonium_chloride AKA ADBAC (wiki article). It's helpful to know that the effect on water bugs is so dramatic.

I edited the title so that others could find the thread, and benefit from your solution!

Here are other products with the same ingredient
    Pool Mate 1-2150 Algae-Free 50 Swimming Pool Algaecide, 1-Qt (50% ADBAC) (Amazon)

Nava Chemicals Algaecide 50, 1-Qt (50% ADBAC) (Amazon)

Omni Algae Preventative, qt (40% ADBAC) (3rd party seller)
    Please note that these products may well be quite effective a killing air breathing bugs (by making it impossible for them to keep their bubble, and drowning them), but they are NOT useful as algaecides.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-01-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Default Re: New pool owner solves severe backswimmer bug problem with quat algaecide

Sure thing. I have the intex skimmer on order now! I'll let you know how it turns out. Also, i was thinking of getting a lightweight tightly woven mesh cover. Something easier to install and remove than the winter cover (cant even do that one by myself). Here's one i found online but its discontinued. Any idea where to find one like this? I wouldnt mind a DIY solution if someone has one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79rpcCYvYTg
    10K gal Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame AGP. PF=12

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I looked at that video, and a related one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bhi5I2jchw, which I think is from the actual maker. It looks like a small operation -- nothing wrong with that -- and it might be better to deal with them directly. I think this is their website: http://summercover.com/

It might be a helpful product, so if you purchase one, please let us know how it works for you.

+ Reply to Thread