+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pentair IC20, IC40: how good are they

Question Pentair IC20, IC40: how good are they

I currently have a 14x32 (shallow end is 3' 4" deep end is 5' 6" so the average depth is what 4.5?) (Trilogy) fiberglass pool. we've had a SWG (I believe it's an Goldrite system) on it since day one approx 5 yrs now and we've had issues with it after the first year. Our pool store has been VERY generous and has replaced the board not one but twice (well i replaced it free of charge) now. this year i think it's on its last leg we've had to to put so much PH reducer in it that i need to buy stock on that product. Normally we spend upwards of $200 per yr on chemicals to maint. our pool that includes start up salt (40 lb bag) in april through the whole year. So with that said i've clean the cell, the fillters etc, and she still won't produce chlorine so we've been putting a bag a shock in it to keep the level up. the read out doesn't even show our values anymore. so w/o being long winded, i'm looking at the pentair IC20 my pool is approx 8500 gallons is the ic20 just big enough for the pool or should i go up to the ic40 not much price difference or is it too much for my size pool? how reliable are these two devices? how many years should i get from either one. thanks for any input.

S&K....

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pentair IC20, IC40: how good are they

We don't recommend them. I've installed several myself and have not been pleased, because the life expectancy is low, compared to other units.

The Hayward / Goldline and the AutoPilot units are the ones people tend to be most pleased with.

You didn't include a location in your registration, so this may not apply -- but some parts of the country have problems with lighting and resultant voltage surges damaging equipment. If you are in such a location, you should consider adding a surge suppressor like this one:
    Intermatic PS3000 Pool and Spa Surge Protective Device
    There are other suppressors that will work, but putting them on a pool voids their warranties. (One company even has a picture of a pool as part of their surge product catalog illustrations -- but still specifically excludes outdoor equipment -- like pool equipment!)
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-14-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: fix typo

+ Reply to Thread