+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intex 12x30 _what is my daily dose

Default Intex 12x30 _what is my daily dose

Hi all. Of course I found this fourm after I filled my pool and its been running almost a week no issues yet but my pH is starting to get low (7.0) barely on an OTO. I have some chlorine tabs in a floater now. I was looking on the simple start up page but the smallest size is 2500 gals. My pool says its 1500 gals. What would my daily dose be and where should I start with adding bleach and borax. Thanks in advance. This is a wonderful site!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Intex 12x30 _what is my daily dose

Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum!

A dose of about 1/4 of a cup should be about right. If you don't have dichlor yet, you can just use bleach until you get some. The directions are in the 'recipe.'

If you have trichlor tabs in a floater, that is most likely the cause for your low pH as they are very acidic. The Borax doses will raise that up.

You might want to see if Walmart has an HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (not test strips). That will allow you to measure more than just chlorine and pH. You'll want to know what your CYA level is after you have been using the dichlor for about a week. A CYA level of about 50 is good for most pools. At that point, you'll want to switch to just using bleach.

It is really important that you maintain good chlorine levels. These little pools are actually harder to deal with than bigger ones because they have such poor filtration that cleaning up algae can be a nightmare. So, be diligent and keep it algae free.

Hope this helps. Come back if you have further questions.

Watermom- thanks for the reply. I was thinking 1/4 cup would be about right lookng at the progression of measurements per gals. I have dichlor on order. Should I do the bleach and then the borax nightly, do I have to wait in between and should I dissolve the borax first (I don't have a skimmer). So many questions! But I want to get it right!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Until you get the dichlor, use the bleach as per the recipe instructions. It is ok to add the bleach and the borax one right after the other with no problems. You can dissolve the borax first if you want, but it isn't necessary.

Don't worry about the questions. The learning curve is really steep in the beginning. We are happy to help so..... ask away!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If the pool is being used, you'll still need doses closer to the 2500 gallon pool than it might seem. A child swimming (or peeing) in a pool consumes the same amount of chlorine, regardless of the gallons in a pool.

In large pools you can store large amounts of chlorine, while having low chlorine levels. In small pools, in order to have enough to 'meet the need' you have to have higher levels.

For example, in a 30K gallon pool, you can store the equivalent of 1 pound of chlorine in a pool (sufficient for several 'pee' episodes), with only 4 ppm of free chlorine (on your test kit). To do the same in a 3,000 gallon pool, would take 40 ppm of free chlorine!

Ok soooo I put too much dichlor in yesterday. When I checked the levels the chlorine didnt even register and my pH was about 7.2 I figured since I had no chlorine reading and hadn't used the dichlor AND had to add about 3 inches of water to pool (ring deflated other day because someone caught the plug on way out in hurry. I noticed it quickly after but only fixed the ring but didnt fill the pool as a storm was quickly approaching). Anyway I added about a cup of dichlor and a cup of borax. We swam last night. I covered the pool (solar cover) and ran filter all night and all day. Tonight clorine level is 5.0+ on OTO and pH is 7.6. Should I leave the cover off tomorrow and hope its not rainy and windy tomorrow and the sun will take some of the chlorine out? Should I do anything else or just wait it out? Note to self. Dichlor is strong....dont need much!!
    12 x 30" Intex

Use the chart at this link to help you decipher what number those off the scale OTO readings are:> http://pool9.net/oto-chart/

It won't take long for those chlorine levels to come down. Not to worry.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd say based on that link I'm between 9ppm and 13ppm. It's definitely bright yellow but no orange tone. I will run the filter again overnight and check tomorrow. Another quick question. Trying to not raise the electric bill too much. Is it ok to only run the filter at night once the levels are ok and then after swimming on weekends (we usually swim after work and summer camp and when we get out I run the filter until morning. Thanks again for all your help!
    12 x 30" Intex

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You can run the filter as little as it takes, but at least 4 hours per day, preferably at 2 different times. Use this, or something like it:
    Intermatic P1121 Heavy Duty Outdoor Timer 15 Amp

Perfect! Thanks. Gotta love Amazon!
    12 x 30" Intex

+ Reply to Thread