+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hayward Super Pump not priming

fog80 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst fog80 0

Default Hayward Super Pump not priming

Hello again!

I'm opening the pool for the spring (I know I'm late) and I can't get the pump to prime. Usually this is because of a suction side air leak. I've checked the strainer gasket, union joint and threaded junction where the pipe enters the pump housing. Everything seems normal.

What I did notice is water leaking under the pump. I believe this usually means the shaft seal is bad. I wanted to know if this can be the cause of the pump not priming?

The pump is only 3 yrs old so I'm a little surprised that something could fail already. My last hayward super pump lasted for a really long time with little issue.

Thanks.
    20,000 gal IG plaster, Hayward Super Pump, EC65 DE filter.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Hayward Super Pump not priming

A leaky seal should not affect a priming pump.

But a leaky pump basket lid would. Also make sure all your valves are open and you don't have any plugs in the skimmers.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Definitely no plugs in the skimmers. Water level is above the skimmer. Valves are open and I lubed the basket strainer gasket.

The pump pulls some water but it never gets more than half full.

I also Teflon taped the union joint closest to the pump and had tightened it. I was really hoping the problem was being caused by the pump seal. I just got my go kit in the mail so I'll change everything out and see what happens.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Another thing that can prevent a pump from priming is a clogged impeller. So while you have the pump apart check to make sure all the impeller vanes are clear.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Argh. Spent all morning taking the pump apart. Tried to undo the impeller by holding the shaft with a wrench and ended up breaking the centrifugal switch.

Drove 30 miles to buy a replacement. Now I have the 7/16 wrench holding the shaft from the bottom but just cannot get the impeller off. Tried using strap wrench and channel pliers, no luck.

Any other ideas? (I'm going counter clockwise).

Update: got a new strap wrench from lowes and the impeller came right off. Got all the seals and gaskets replaced.

Put water in the pot and sure enough, still leaking. Flipped it over and see a crack running across the bottom about 2-3" long.

Suggestions?

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Is the impeller housing or the basket cracked? If it's the basket, drill a 1/8" or 3/16" hole at each end of the crack to stop the crack from "running". If you don't drill the holes the crack will likely keep growing longer, and then leak where repairs have not been made. Then sand the outside of the basket along the crack with 100 or 150 grit sand paper. Get some J B Weld epoxy, mix it, and apply it to the cracked area, make sure to fill the holes completely and leave it built up a little bit along the crack. This MIGHT or might NOT work on the impeller housing. Good luck!

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Update: used epoxy to fill the crack from inside and outside and now the pump will prime but I've got a fairly large water leak between the motor and plastic housing.

Problem is I can't turn the pump over while it's connected so I don't know exactly what is leaking. I don't know if it's the new shaft seals I installed. I followed directions exactly and it all matched up the way it was originally.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by fog80 View Post
    Update: used epoxy to fill the crack from inside and outside and now the pump will prime but I've got a fairly large water leak between the motor and plastic housing.
    Probably the seal.
    Mark

Ok I realized that there is one larger gasket in the go kit that I didn't use. I didn't use it because I didn't find that kind of gasket in my pump when I took it apart.

Could that be it?

+ Reply to Thread