+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water testing and left over trichlo

Default Water testing and left over trichlo

Hello.

I am currently using the Bioguard products, upon reading this forum, I have noticed that I am paying too much for chemicals. How do I finish off the products(Smart shock and silk smart sticks) and still use this method? My K-2006 should arrive tomorrow so I do not have readings yet, although my basic kit shows ph at 7.5 and chlorine levels are not registering.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Water testing and left over trichlo

Post your results here:
    http://pool9.net/pf-hist-form/
    And your pool info, here:
    http://pool9.net/pf-pool-form/
    We're having a bit of a controversy here, among the moderators and I, about what to do with left-over chemicals. In many cases, we'd like to say, toss them, because often pool owners already have high stabilizer. But, it's generally illegal and often unsafe, to put them in the garbage. I just finished a preliminary version of a page on storing chemicals today: http://pool9.net/chem/store/

Probably the best bet is to use them up, but you may have to run high levels of chlorine to compensate for high stabilizer. I can't tell till you post results and info.

. . . membership upgraded.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-14-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Thank you for your response,
    Chlorine- too low to register
    Ph-7.4
    TA-250
    CH-400
    Cya- too high to give a number! Was only able to add 1.8ml before black for disappeared.

I was just getting ready to put some more of the shock in, but wasn't sure how much to use.
    Sean

15k gal concrete freeform IG pool, Sta-Rite PLM200 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 3/4HP P6E6D-205L pump, feeding trichlor, 8hrs/day. PF=8

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Next time your do your CYA test, mix 1/4 cup pool water with 1/2 cup tap water. Test, and then multiply x3 for your actual CYA level.

Do NOT buy any more stabilized chlorine -- dichlor or trichlor, in any form.

Do go ahead and add more chlorine ASAP -- I can't tell you how much, because I don't have your equipment form yet!

Also read about muriatic acid, and lowering alkalinity . . . because you're gonna need that:
    http://pool9.net/ma/
    http://pool9.net/alk-step/

[QUOTE=PoolDoc;120742]Post your results here:
    http://pool9.net/pf-hist-chart/
    I must not know what I am doing as I am unable to type or edit this document
    And your pool info, here:
    http://pool9.net/pf-pool-form/
    Done
    Sean

15k gal concrete freeform IG pool, Sta-Rite PLM200 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 3/4HP P6E6D-205L pump, feeding trichlor, 8hrs/day. PF=8

My bad: http://pool9.net/pf-hist-form/ . I need to come up with better links, because those confuse me!

I recalc-ed your pool volume, after looking at your submitted dimensions, and Google maps (since you submitted your address -- which only I can see). I posted 15K gallons, but because of the free form indents, it's actually probably less. That puts you in the norm: way more than 50% of pool owners have significantly incorrect figures for their volumes, and more than 3/4 of the errors or on the high side. Since such errors sell more chems, pools stores have NO incentive to correct them.

Anyhow, on your pool, with a PF of 8, a pound of trichlor (90% avail. cl.) will add ~ 7 ppm (8 x 0.9). A gallon of PLAIN 8% househould bleach (~0.7 lbs Cl2 equiv) will add about 6 ppm (8 x 0.7).

Did you retest your CYA?

Performed the CYA test, black dot disappeared at 85.
    Chlorine is 1 and Ph is 7.5
    Sean

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

So, if you diluted as Ben suggested above, then you need to multiply the reading of 85 x3 = 255.

If it were my pool and I was able, I'd probably drain and refill a good bit of that water since you have a ridiculously high CYA. But, where you live there may be water restrictions. Wait and see what Ben's recommendation is for you.

But, get some bleach in there. A chlorine of 1 is an open invitation to algae. I'd probably put about 4 of the 121-oz jugs of bleach in there.

I just entered my new test results. I dumped 4 jugs of bleach last night. I going to put in 4 more tonight. I have a cartridge filter, is it ok to be putting bleach directly in filter basket area or spread around pool? Seems as though I also need a feeder, any recommendations?
    Sean

I think the cartridge will be find, but if you like, just put one in the skimmer and the rest in the pool.

You need to continue with the 4 bottle doses daily, till you can hold chlorine overnight. After that, you'll need to achieved 15 - 20 ppm levels, in order to keep your pool algae free, given the CYA=250 level that you reported.

+ Reply to Thread