+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water testing and left over trichlo

Default Re: Water testing and left over trichlo

New test!
    It appears the chlorine is staying in better but pH is down and TA is up. Both CH and CYA are down slightly.
    I will continue the 4 jugs regimen tonight. As for pH, it took 6 drops to bring the color to 7.5ppm. Should be adjusted before or after adding bleach to pool. Day or night?
    Sean

15k gal concrete freeform IG pool, Sta-Rite PLM200 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 3/4HP P6E6D-205L pump, feeding trichlor, 8hrs/day. PF=8

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

It doesn't matter if you add bleach first or Borax but you need to test your pH when the chlorine level is no higher than 10ppm. Otherwise, you'll get a false pH reading. (On kits other than Taylor kits, the pH test is only valid if the chlorine is no higher than 5ppm.)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Keep in mind what your goals are:

1. Chlorine levels stable overnight.
    2. PH between 7 & 8 all the time; for you with high CH, 7.2 - 7.6 would be good.

3. Once chlorine is stable overnight, you want to maintain FC levels that range between 5 & 10% of your CYA level (225).

New results entered
    Chlorine has stayed stable overnight. Unfortunately, with FC at 11ppm, based on your previous post I may be getting inaccurate pH readings.
    I had pool at about 15ppm on FC, but chlorine odor was pretty strong. I figure 11-13 is a decent number with CYA levels where they are.
    Sean

15k gal concrete freeform IG pool, Sta-Rite PLM200 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 3/4HP P6E6D-205L pump, feeding trichlor, 8hrs/day. PF=8

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

There should not be any chlorine odor at 15 ppm UNLESS there's something in the water to still oxidize. As we speak, I have a heavily used 200,000 gallon local country club pool at 15 - 20 ppm FC . . . and the water is completely odorless.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-21-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add missing "not" - duh!

Fair enough, I will continue to monitor.
    Sean

So, we did some make shift aeration this weekend. Seems as it had a small effect.
    Added 2 jugs of bleach after this test was taken.
    Sean

ok. keep us posted.

Posted new test results.
    Added 1/2 gallon muriatic acid to reduce pH levels. According to this post http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/lowe...p-by-step.html
    I am going to lower to 6.8 as this is the lowest my tester will go, I will then begin the aeration to lower the TA.
    How long should I wait before the next dose of acid to lower pH?
    Sean

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The aeration raises the pH, not lowers the TA. Don't drop the pH to 6.8 on your kit because by doing so, you don't know if 6.8 means 6.8 or any value lower. Lower it to 6.9 or 7.0 instead. You add the next dose of acid when your pH is raised back up to 7.6 or so.

+ Reply to Thread