+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crystal Clear water, but.......

Question Crystal Clear water, but.......

There's always a white/green/yellow residue trapped mainly in seams of 16x32 IG.....I assumed it was algae...But no matter what I do, it returns....can u help?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Crystal Clear water, but.......

Could it just be pollen? Debris always tend to settle near seams in pools. In my pool, that is where I always tend to have dirt. It gets stirred up in the suspension of the water when we are in the pool but when the water quiets back down, it resettles back to the floor along the seams.

What kind of test kit do you have? Can you post some current readings?

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Could it just be pollen? Debris always tend to settle near seams in pools. In my pool, that is where I always tend to have dirt. It gets stirred up in the suspension of the water when we are in the pool but when the water quiets back down, it resettles back to the floor along the seams.

What kind of test kit do you have? Can you post some current readings?
    ===========================
    It might be pollen..I just wanna get rid of it...The latest readings were just fine...6/8/14
    But here they are:
    Total Clor: 2.9.........Free Clor: 1.1.......Total Alk: 170........Calcium Hard: 150; but I added since then......Stabilizer: 65; but added more.......(readings came from local pool store)....I'm using reg test strips: which don't give readings......only colors....QUESTION... Why would pollen not stay in filter until "backwash" ???.......Thx

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Actually, if your readings are accurate, and honestly, pool stores aren't know for their accuracy, your numbers are not fine.

FC + CC = TC So, that means you have a CC reading of 1.8 which would not be good. (You want CC to be 0 or at least no higher than 0.5.)

Therefore, unfortunately, it may very well be algae.

With a CYA (stabilizer) level of 65, you have to keep your FC between 5-10 ALL the time. If it dips too low, then algae can get started. At this point, you need to shock your pool. Again, the shock level is based on your CYA reading and will be 20ppm. More about the CYA/Chlorine connection can be found here: http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

You are going to need a Taylor K2006 kit. Since it is going to be necessary for you to run chlorine readings as high as mentioned above, you need a kit that can measure higher than 5 which is the limit on these other kits. This kit won't be available locally but you can get one through this link: http://pool9.net/tk/

In the meantime, can you go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (not test strips). If not, at least pick up a cheap OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops). Also, get a bunch of jugs of their generic 8.25% bleach.

Test and post your numbers and tell us which kit you bought and also what your volume is. Then someone here will help you go from there.

Watermom, I just ordered Taylor OTO...I already have 8.25 bleach....When u say Shock; how many 1lb bags? Also, how much bleach do u normally use? thx

"Shock" is a verb, not a noun. It just means to raise the chlorine level. You can just use bleach to shock with. No need to buy a separate product.

How much bleach to use depends on your volume. Here is a link to a bleach calculator that may be helpful. It actually has other calculators as well in the drop down menu in the upper left corner. http://pool9.net/bleach-calc/

Also, what kit did you order? Only an OTO and not the K2006?

"Shock" is a verb, not a noun. It just means to raise the chlorine level. You can just use bleach to shock with. No need to buy a separate product.

How much bleach to use depends on your volume. Here is a link to a bleach calculator that may be helpful. It actually has other calculators as well in the drop down menu in the upper left corner. http://pool9.net/bleach-calc/

Also, what kit did you order? Only an OTO and not the K2006?
    I do know what shock means...verb or noun....I was just asking how much u use....Didn't realize I did not need to buy Shock (in a bag) if I'm using Bleach....
    I also found what my problem is on another site.....They tell me it's mustard/green algae....And one of the reasons for it returning is; poor circulation... My Assumption is::: Even though I've shocked and vacuumed; the reason for it's return is poor circulation; due to Always keeping solar cover on.. Does my assumption make sense to u?......I also cancelled wrong kit.......thx

ps...First time going with BLEACH vs pucks and granular Shock...

It could be mustard algae. What other site?

Your solar cover should not have anything to do with your circulation, though.

If it is algae, your chlorine levels have not been kept high enough to clear it. (Yesterday you noted that your free chlorine reading was 1.1.) This is the reason for it's return. Maintain your chlorine at shock level as consistently as you can and brush the pool while the chlorine is high. Also, run the pump 24/7 while you are trying to clear up the pool.

Hopefully, your K2006 will arrive quickly. In the meantime, see if you can get a cheap OTO kit at Walmart (red and yellow drops). It will only read chlorine levels to 5ppm but you can use this color chart to interpret darker colors and their chlorine level estimates. This will help you maintain the 20ppm shock level that you need until your K2006 comes in.

http://pool9.net/oto-chart/

It could be mustard algae. What other site?

Your solar cover should not have anything to do with your circulation, though.

If it is algae, your chlorine levels have not been kept high enough to clear it. (Yesterday you noted that your free chlorine reading was 1.1.) This is the reason for it's return. Maintain your chlorine at shock level as consistently as you can and brush the pool while the chlorine is high. Also, run the pump 24/7 while you are trying to clear up the pool.

Hopefully, your K2006 will arrive quickly. In the meantime, see if you can get a cheap OTO kit at Walmart (red and yellow drops). It will only read chlorine levels to 5ppm but you can use this color chart to interpret darker colors and their chlorine level estimates. This will help you maintain the 20ppm shock level that you need until your K2006 comes in.

http://pool9.net/oto-chart/
    www.Fortwaynepools.com is the site....... .......I found using "skimmer basket socks" help in ridding the algae; or what I think is algae....I went one better and used the sock in filter basket... also...

+ Reply to Thread