+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Low pH, Hardness, Alk, where do I start?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Low pH, Hardness, Alk, where do I start?

The OTO tester can also be used to measure bromine and thus has a bromine column on it. I'm assuming that when you say that your chlorine is 3-6, you mean 3 and the 6 is in the bromine column. (Just ignore that.)

Go ahead and add some more bleach to get back up to about 6ppm --- assuming that I am right in my assumption above.

Yes to your question about another dose of Borax and baking soda.

No need to test calcium hardness. CH is only an issue in a vinyl or soft-sided pool if it is too high. Yours is fine.

Do you have an HTH 6-way drops kit or an OTO kit? Just wondering how you got your CYA reading.

Yes, I'm using the HTH 6-way test kit.

You're right about the chlorine and bromine columns. I had not noticed that before, and was thinking it was a chlorine reading of between 3-6ppm, when actually the chlorine is 3ppm.

I got the CYA reading with the HTH 6-way kit. I purchased the kit last year and it contains two CYA tests. I used the second one this year.
    16'x48" Intex, 5061 gallons, Intex 1500gph filter, Intex SWCG #54601EG, Filling with water on 6/7/14.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You might think about picking up the add-on kit Taylor K1515. That gives you the chlorine test that your 6-Way doesn't have that allows you to measure higher chlorine levels than 5. You also can order more of the CYA reagent R-0013. Both of these can be found through this link:

http://pool9.net/tk/

After one more dose of Borax (2 cups) and 1lb baking soda yesterday, today's readings:

Alk 80
    pH 7.8
    Chlorine 1ppm

I'm surprised that the chlorine is not burning off faster. Does this seem right? The pool has only been swam in once since we filled it, because the weather has been cooler.

The pH jumped a lot after just the one dose.

What should I do about the alkalinity?
    16'x48" Intex, 5061 gallons, Intex 1500gph filter, Intex SWCG #54601EG, Filling with water on 6/7/14.

You don't need to do anything about the alk. It is just fine. Are you adding bleach?

I have not added any bleach in the last couple days because I wanted to get a feel for how much was needed. The Taylor K-1515-A test kit has been sold out on Amazon. Is there another place online to order them? What price range is to be expected?

Google for it. I just did and found a couple of places that have it. Just make sure it is the Taylor K1515 FAS-DPD kit. A couple of links that showed up when I did my search were for other kits. The K1515A will have 0.75 oz bottles and the K1515C will have 2-oz. bottles.

I actually did find the K1515C on Amazon for $46. At the time I am writing this post, they show 4 available.
    Taylor K-1515-C- Drop Test, FAS-DPD Chlorine, (2 oz reagent bottles)
    I also found a Taylor K1515A for $21.63 from this place. (I don't know anything about this company.)
    http://pstpoolsupplies.com/taylor-te...FZRQOgodZRwAqw ($21.63 -- 3/4 oz reagent bottles)
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-14-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: fix links

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

At the time I am writing this post, they show 4 available
    Going fast! Now down to 2, and Amato probably won't re-stock till Monday.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Can you remove / disconnect the copper ionizer unit on the SWCG so you won't add more copper to the pool?
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Can you remove / disconnect the copper ionizer unit on the SWCG so you won't add more copper to the pool?
    I saw this mentioned somewhere else, but no instructions were given.

So I just tested again, and the pool still has chlorine in it. Does that seem odd? I went ahead and added more bleach. No one is swimming this weekend because the weather is too cool and the water temp has dropped.

+ Reply to Thread