+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice for replacement pool heater- Ours oil heater was "condemned".

Default Need advice for replacement pool heater- Ours oil heater was "condemned".

I have a 20k gallon in ground pool. It’s called a Grecian, I think. 20x40. The pool is heated by oil. We had our oil company come to service the pool heater and they condemned it. It’s rusted through and can't be fixed. I am located on Long Island in NY.

In doing my research I see we can go 3 ways:
    1. Replace the oil heater at ABOUT 6k-7k.
    2. Switch to propane at ABOUT $5-6k. (This includes removing the old oil tank, disposal and pumping)
    3. Switch to an electric heat pump at ABOUT $5k (also includes removal of oil tank).

I was told that an electric heat pump might be a great alternative. We have an electric panel by the pool equipment, so I know we do have to check if it’s a 50amp dedicated.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I can look for solid information on replacing the heater? Or if you have a heat pump and love it?

I need to research this and see what option might be the best. Any advice or direction would be GREATLY appreciated!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Need advice for replacement pool heater- Ours oil heater was "condemned".

Whether a heat pump would be a good choice for you depends on how you plan to heat your pool. Heat pumps are best for WARMING pools when it's cool; they are NOT efficient at heating pools when it's cold.

I'm not sure about the relative economics of oil vs propane.

. . . membership upgraded.

Default Re: Need advice for replacement pool heater- Ours oil heater was "condemned".

Thank you. I was told, basically, the same as well. I was told that once the pool was up to temp the heaters work really well.

But it still comes down to this: Does anyone have a place I can do some more research about this?
    Last edited by Juhgail; 06-10-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: added more to reply.
    grecian-shaped IG pool

+ Reply to Thread