+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New pool owner. Cya level over 100. No free chlorine detected....help

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New pool owner. Cya level over 100. No free chlorine detected....help

Her TA was 180 a few days ago.

Composite:
    TA = 180
    CH = 270
    CYA = 160
    Given a CYA=160, as long as your pool is algae free, you need to keep your FC between 8 and 16 ppm. Don't worry about CC, so long as it's only 1 drop of FAS (0.5 ppm with the 10 ml sample size).

So, to respond to your question, your chlorine is fine, except a bit low.

Given your high TA & moderate CH, you need to lower your TA a bit. If you would lower the pH to 7.4 or so, and retest TA to confirm. To lower, see http://pool9.net/ma/

I looked at your data, and recalculated your volume as 6,300 based on the dimensions you provided. If the depth measurements were pool depth, rather than water depth, the actual volume is even less.

Default Re: New pool owner. Cya level over 100. No free chlorine detected....help

Thank you, Watermom. So I added another gallon of Walmart 8% bleach early this morning and my pool service added some acid last week.

Here are my numbers:
    FC 11.5
    CC .5
    Ph 8+
    TA 160
    CH 52

I looked at the best guess chart but don't understand. For my high cya number, should I be aiming for FC of 8 to 15? What does the shock column mean? I need to have my pool swimable by the weekend. Would you advise me to drain some of the water?

Thank you so much.
    6.3k gal FG inground pool with cartridge filter. Solid cover. Trichlor feeder, K2006. PF=19

Thank you, PoolDoc. I didn't see this reply before posting mine. I will lower the ph. There is not and hasn't ever been any algae as far as I know. The pool is approx 8000 gal according to my pool service company. I did not measure the depth and length, I just estimated. I will get an actual measurement and update it.

It doesn't sound like you are concerned about my high cya number. I understand that having a high cya means keeping lots of chlorine in the pool. I'd like to have my pool water be as healthy as possible for my kids to swim in. Wouldn't using less chlorine achieve that? What do you recommend? Thank you.
    6.3k gal FG inground pool with cartridge filter. Solid cover. Trichlor feeder, K2006. PF=19

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

It is up to you. You can do a partial drain and refill if you want but don't totally drain it. OR, just keep the CYA at 60 and run the higher chlorine levels per the chart. It is fine to do so and your kids can certainly swim with no problems.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

CYA and chlorine combine in such a way that, the higher the CYA, the less % of the chlorine that is active. In a very important sense, in a pool with 1 ppm FC at CYA=20 ppm there is the same amount of ACTIVE chlorine as another pool with 5 ppm FC and CYA=100 ppm!

The studies of health risks possibly originating from chlorine in pools, are studies of INDOOR COMMERCIAL pools. Compared to outdoor pools, indoor pools have very poor ventilation. Commercial pools have MUCH higher swimmer loads then home pools. And, perhaps most important, indoor pools don't have the high energy oxidation processes that occur when solar UV photolyses pool chlorine. This process rapidly break down the noxious chlorine + people goo compounds which form, as chlorine tries to clean up the mess people leave behind!

As far as I can find, there is NO data suggesting that swimming in OUTDOOR pools with FC=20, or even 50 ppm. In fact, dermatologists have for years been treating various sensitive skin conditions, in both adults and children, with "bleach baths" where the chlorine level is 50+ ppm, and there is NOT stabilizer.

All that to say, your kids will be fine, as W-M has already told you!

Thank you Watermom and PoolDoc. That is good news that the kids will be fine...me too! I will keep the water in the pool for now but I can see I'm going to be adding lots of bleach to keep FC at 8+.

I really appreciate your time and effort in helping me and others who are overwhelmed with this process. The test kit you recommended is awesome. I think I'll be able to keep maintaining my pool for the most part and only call in the big guns (pool service company) when major things need to be done like opening the filter...yikes!

So grateful...Lisa

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Glad we could help. If you have further questions, we'll be here!

+ Reply to Thread