+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP dealing with mustard algae!

Default HELP dealing with mustard algae!

finally got the murky swap to go away but now am dealing with mustard algae. Brown clumps in low end and shady areas - dissappates into cloud when swept. waiting on Taylor test kit to come in but bought 5-1 drip kit from Home Depot and here are my readings. I vacuumed to waste and back washed and rinsed prior to these readings.
    pH 7.8
    Free Chlorine 5.0(as high as it reads)
    Combined Chlorine 5.0(as high as it reads)
    ALK 180 ppm

I know I have to keep chlorine high but not sure how much 8.25% bleach to add and do I need to drop my pH? Have 3/4 bottle left of lo and slo pH decreaser. Please help - kids started summer vacation today and are ready to revolt!
    18 x 36 vinyl IG pool; Tagelus sand filter; 3/4HP pump; booster for Pentair cleaner; SWCG, Taylor Test Kit

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: HELP dealing with mustard algae!

pool is 23,200 gallons Unsure what CYA number is as test doesn't include this.
    18 x 36 vinyl IG pool; Tagelus sand filter; 3/4HP pump; booster for Pentair cleaner; SWCG, Taylor Test Kit

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Ok. Well, hopefully your kit will arrive soon so you can test CYA. That is an important number to know because needed chlorine levels are dependent on that reading. (Any idea when it is supposed to arrive?)

Each jug of 8.25% bleach will add 3.4ppm of chlorine. For now while you are cleaning up your pool and until we know your CYA reading, I'd probably aim for keeping the chlorine between 12-15. Also, run your pump 24/7 while you are working to clear it and turn your SWCG off.

Your pH is ok for now.

I'm not familiar with that particular test kit. Do you add yellow drops to get the chlorine reading?

By the way, I'm assuming testing error on the CC test. I would be very surprised if you had a CC reading of 5.

Taylor kit should be here Monday. Yes it is yellow capped solution added for chlorine test. I also noticed in my pump basket sand underneath when I took it out to empty it and sand on my buddy seats -there are 2 returns on those seats. I am assuming this isn't good. My first year opening pool on my own and getting frustrated. Please help. How many 121 oz juga of bleach should I add? Also what about putting a tablet in skimmer basket?

I would not use the tabs right now, just bleach.

What i wrote above:
    "Each jug of 8.25% bleach will add 3.4ppm of chlorine. For now while you are cleaning up your pool and until we know your CYA reading, I'd probably aim for keeping the chlorine between 12-15. Also, run your pump 24/7 while you are working to clear it and turn your SWCG off.'

So, you test, then add however much bleach you need based on that info above, to get your chlorine level back up between 12-15. Once we know your CYA level, we may revise that recommendation but for now it will give you a target.

The yellow chlorine test is called an OTO test. If you click on the following link, it will take you to a chart that gives interpretations of colors that are higher than that kit can actually measure. But, you can use the colors to get an estimate of what your chlorine level is. When you are trying to clean up a swampy pool, you want to keep the chlorine in the very dark yellow/orangish range. http://pool9.net/oto-chart/

(By the way, when your chlorine level is over 5ppm, the pH test on that kit will give you a falsely high reading. So, test pH whenever the chlorine is lower than 5.)

Not sure about the sand on the seats. What size is your sand filter (how many lbs. of sand does it hold.) Sounds like your filter may not be working properly. To test it, buy the smallest bag of DE that you can find, throw a handful into the skimmer and watch the returns. If you see white powder shooting out, your filter is not working. If it doesn't shoot out, the DE may actually help your filter to filter better. More about that here: http://pool9.net/de-test/

Hope this helps.

Last question for now. Do I pour bleach thru skimmer?

Yes, you can. That is always what I do for my pool. But, only do so if the pump is running.

Thank you-still had some algae this morning but not as much and haziness is clearing from the deep end.

Glad to hear of the progress! Keep the chlorine level high and continue to run the pump 24/7.

+ Reply to Thread