+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filter pump run time

Red face Filter pump run time

I need to lower my monthly electrical bill. I've had the pool for a few years now and the builder had suggested that I run the pump at the ratio of 1hr per 10degrees of outside temp throughout the year. I'm wondering if the pool would do OK with less. This is a description of my pool and equipment, it may be useful for the calculation.

17,600gals non-salt system/ 2HP pump/ 2 main drains, 1 skimmer/ in-floor filtration (circulation) system/ DEL 60 DE filter/ in-line chlorine feeder/ Pebble Fina finish/ rectangular in shape/ 3.5ft to 6.5ft depth.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Robert
    Tampa, FL

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Filter pump run time

Yes a pool can be properly managed at much less run time and most pools do quite well at 4 hours or less run time. The industry propagated a lot of myths around pump run time including turnovers so try to ignore most of what you read on the internet.

Also, you might also benefit from a two speed motor.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks Mark!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

A couple of further points:

+ When I processed your registration, I noticed you have a screened pool. That reduces the amount of run time required.

+ You have an in-floor cleaning system -- which is why you need a 2HP pumps. 24,000 gallon pools in my area (Chattanooga) are commonly installed with a 1HP or even 3/4HP pump, and do fine. The in-floor cleaning systems require very high pressures to operate. This in turn leads builders to install massively over sized pumps. With a screened pool, how much cleaning is needed in the first place, especially since you have 2 drains! There are several possible solutions:

1. Abandon and bypass the in-floor system, and refit the 2HP pump with a 1HP impeller. This will dramatically reduce electrical usage.

2. Refit your pump with a 2 speed motor, and run on high ONLY when the cleaning system is on.

3. Replace your pump with a variable speed pump AND A SURGE PROTECTOR (Florida's thunderstorms kill VS pumps!). Adjust the VS pump to run very low, except when the cleaning system must be run. Run the cleaning system as little as possible.

Thumbs up Re: Filter pump run time

Thanks PoolDoc. Makes sense that the pump needs to be high capacity and a smaller one would suffice if I bypass the in-floor.
    I was able to find plenty of information on the subject after receiving the welcome e-mail from the forum. At first I tried to search using the "search" link, but then I used the google-based search and learned a few things.

- The pump does not need to run the suggested 1hr x 10 degrees of OT like the pool installer suggests.
    - The runtime can be done at night.
    - The total cycle can be completed at two or more sessions.
    - Lastly, the last two points would be most helpful if I had a different kW/hr rate at different times.

Well, I called the local power company and I'm having the latest "Energy Planner" equipment installed next week. www.tampaelectric.com/energyplanner
    Although the peak hours are higher than my $0.11 current rate, I can run the pool at the lowest rate and save. As commented in one of the threads, the power company suggests you try it for a year to compare the different seasons. I think this will work for us and I’m going to give it a try. The equipment is free and there’s no monthly fee either. What’s to lose? 
    I have a 1HP motor in the system for the spa and the water features. I could use this one if I decide to eliminate the in-floor filtration. This is only used sparingly when the pool is in use.
    As you noticed, leaves and other dirt is not a problem as it is screened. The reason the pool builder suggested the run time was solely based on the Sun evaporating the chemicals off the water. This is my only concern and why I have been running the filter 6hrs in winter and 8 in summer.
    Thank you again for the reply!
    screened IG pool with attached spa

+ Reply to Thread