+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New here

Default New here

Hello all

Great forum! New pool owner. I'll save my questions for after doing some reading first. Just wanna say thanks for having a great knowledge base to explore.

Splash

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New here

I've got the pool opened nice and clear blue. Bought a K-2006 test kit. Likely will have questions on testing procedures. I'm reviewing the videos from Taylor now. Just wanna keep it all balanced.

Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Sounds like you are doing your homework! Good that you bought the kit. You'll be glad you did!

Yes, I've reviewed all vids have been testing each day for the last 5. But now, I've hit a problem.

Backdrop...

20,000 gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter.

I started adding adding CYA at the start of testing since I was getting no reading. Slowly added 3 pounds in the skimmer and was using trichlor tabs raise the amount at a controlled rate beyond that. As expected, the pH dropped as the CYA level accumulated. As of yesterday 5pm, the readings were;
    Temp 76
    FC 3.0
    pH 6.5
    TA 100
    CYA still less than 30
    CC 0.5

All looks pretty good (other than pH) and water nice and clear.

So, I added 15 pounds soda ash per my little pool pal Andriod app. I spread it all around the pool. I also added a 5 gal jug of liq chlorine. I didn't really want to add that much, but the lid was on so tight I could only get it off by prying it with a screwdriver. So I put it all in because it couldn't be reclosed.

Did another test this morning at 5am;
    Temp 75
    FC 5.6
    pH 7.5
    TA 170
    CYA still below 30
    CC 5.2

Came home at 5pm, pulled off the solar cover and saw a white caked layer at the bottom of the pool. I didn't notice that in the morning due to the cover being on. So, I guess I added the soda ash too quickly and stuck to the bottom. The filter ran for 1-2 hours after I put in the soda ash. I guess that wasn't long enough. I brushed it up off the bottom and now there's a cloudy mess in there. Should I be worried?

I took some more readings afterward;
    Temp 77
    FC 6.0
    pH 7.2
    TA 170
    CC 2.6

Thanks in advance for any help.

Splash

You'll just have to keep filtering to try and clear the water. We don't typically advise using soda ash. Instead, we use 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle at Walmart) to raise pH.

I think you have some testing errors with your chlorine as I really doubt that you have a CC reading of 5.2 or 2.6. Can you please tell me what steps you are doing to test your FC and CC?

Thanks for the reply.

Using soda ash for two reasons. 1st, I figured the TA would drop down as the CYA would dissolve (read borax doesn't effect TA). 2nd, the pool store and Walmart are totally opposite directions from my house. I also wanted pick up more liq chlorine and 2oz bottles of testing chems.

CC quotes above likely off by a decimal point (I think).

Ran the filter all night. Looks better but still clearing. It's pouring rain right now. So, I'll take more readings later.

Thanks again,
    Splash

I don't think the CC numbers are due to being off by a decimal point. Even a CC reading of .52 or .26 don't make sense or if you go the other way to 52 or 26 either.

To clarify how to run the CC test,
    You use the same sample as you have been using to test for FC. You add 5 drops of R-0003. If the sample turns pink, you have some CC. You then add drops of R-0871, one drop at a time, just as before, swirling to mix after each drop, until the sample turns clear. Then, multiply the number of drops by 0.5 (if you used a 10mL water sample) or by 0.2 (if you used a 25 mL water sample.) That would give you your CC reading.

(IF the sample does NOT turn pink, then your CC reading is 0 which is ideal!)

(By the way, best to use the 10ml water sample as that will conserve your reagents.)

Thanks for tips. I'll double check my procedures. I'm not all that worried about CC as the FC drop per day is only about 0.5.

Keeping the pH in range has been a bit more of a challenge as I'm trying to raise the CYA. I've noticed the test results tend to go further than my expectations when adding chems. This makes me think I'm over estimating the water volume in the pool. The shape of the pool angles inward below 3 ft. The deepest part is only about 10 to 12 ft. sq. So, I think I'll adjust my calculations.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sounds like you precipitated a bunch of calcium carbonate.

Is there a reason you haven't been reporting calcium hardness levels? In this case, that's a pretty important reading.

Regardless -- if your water is clear yet, boost the chlorine and then turn the pump off overnight. If the calcium settles, try carefully vacuuming it up -- but make sure it doesn't shoot back into the pool. If you have a sand filter, you can add DE powder to the skimmer, before vacuuming. (If the DE shoots out -- your filter needs work!)

Anyhow, if the filter won't catch, vacuum to waste. If the pool gets low (watch the skimmer!), stop vacuuming, turn the pump back on, refill the pool (over fill if needed) and then try again later.

. . . membership updated.

+ Reply to Thread