+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New here

Hybrid View

Default New here

Hello all

Great forum! New pool owner. I'll save my questions for after doing some reading first. Just wanna say thanks for having a great knowledge base to explore.

Splash

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New here

I've got the pool opened nice and clear blue. Bought a K-2006 test kit. Likely will have questions on testing procedures. I'm reviewing the videos from Taylor now. Just wanna keep it all balanced.

Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Sounds like you are doing your homework! Good that you bought the kit. You'll be glad you did!

Yes, I've reviewed all vids have been testing each day for the last 5. But now, I've hit a problem.

Backdrop...

20,000 gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter.

I started adding adding CYA at the start of testing since I was getting no reading. Slowly added 3 pounds in the skimmer and was using trichlor tabs raise the amount at a controlled rate beyond that. As expected, the pH dropped as the CYA level accumulated. As of yesterday 5pm, the readings were;
    Temp 76
    FC 3.0
    pH 6.5
    TA 100
    CYA still less than 30
    CC 0.5

All looks pretty good (other than pH) and water nice and clear.

So, I added 15 pounds soda ash per my little pool pal Andriod app. I spread it all around the pool. I also added a 5 gal jug of liq chlorine. I didn't really want to add that much, but the lid was on so tight I could only get it off by prying it with a screwdriver. So I put it all in because it couldn't be reclosed.

Did another test this morning at 5am;
    Temp 75
    FC 5.6
    pH 7.5
    TA 170
    CYA still below 30
    CC 5.2

Came home at 5pm, pulled off the solar cover and saw a white caked layer at the bottom of the pool. I didn't notice that in the morning due to the cover being on. So, I guess I added the soda ash too quickly and stuck to the bottom. The filter ran for 1-2 hours after I put in the soda ash. I guess that wasn't long enough. I brushed it up off the bottom and now there's a cloudy mess in there. Should I be worried?

I took some more readings afterward;
    Temp 77
    FC 6.0
    pH 7.2
    TA 170
    CC 2.6

Thanks in advance for any help.

Splash

You'll just have to keep filtering to try and clear the water. We don't typically advise using soda ash. Instead, we use 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle at Walmart) to raise pH.

I think you have some testing errors with your chlorine as I really doubt that you have a CC reading of 5.2 or 2.6. Can you please tell me what steps you are doing to test your FC and CC?

+ Reply to Thread