+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New here

Default Re: New here

Pool is clear now. Just a couple days of brushing the bottom and sides, 24/7 pump, and running the robot did the trick. pH measured 7.6 this morning and seems to have stabilized. I last tested the CH about 5 days ago reading 170. Since that was in line, I wasn't worried considering I have a vinyl liner. I'll test it again next time.

Thanks for the membership bump. This forum has helped greatly.

Splash
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Great!

You don't need to test CH again. Unless you're using cal hypo to chlorinate, it won't rise.

Well that's cool But, I just tested it anyway. .

FC 3.5
    CC 0.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 180
    CH 160
    CYA 30(ish)

Lesson learned with all this is to add doses of chems in small increments, let that take effect and then retest before adding more.
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Great. That's my preferred method.

I've had significant arguments with others who have come to support the 'BBB method' over precisely the topic of how chemicals should be added.

Your TA is a little high, but not something to obsess over, especially with that low CH. However if you keep your pH at the low end of things, you'll find that you have to add acid periodically and that your TA will slowly drop. Once you reach your target TA (120 - 140) you can just let your pH 'float', adding acid (or borax) only if the pH wanders outside the 7.0 - 8.0 range.

The TA went up quickly from 100 to as high as 190 when I added the soda ash. I'm still adding in CYA via trichlor tabs. So, I should expect the TA to drop correct? I've been adding Borax slowly to keep the pH in range (not dropping) . That won't effect the TA correct?

Thanks,
    Splash

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Soda ash raises pH and TA. Borax raise pH without affecting TA much which is why we prefer it to soda ash.

Cool. I guess all the reading up I'm doing is finally sinking in (no pun intended).

btw, what does the "PF=6" that was added to my signature mean?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

PF stands for "Pool Factor" which is a calculation that Pooldoc uses to estimate effects on water with given amounts of chemicals. Here is something I copied and pasted from another post Ben wrote that may help you better understand how it works:

PF = pool factor.

If you add 1 lb of chlorine gas to a pool with a PF of 1 (120,000 gallons = 1,000,000 lbs) you get 1 ppm of chlorine.

If you add 1 lb of chlorine gas (100% chlorine) to a pool with a PF of 10, you get 10 ppm of chlorine.

If you add 1 lb of dichlor (55% chlorine) to a pool with a PF of 10, you get a 5.5 ppm of chlorine (1 x 10 x 0.55)

Thanks for the explanation. Gee, and I thought I just had cool factor

Quote Originally Posted by Big Splash View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. Gee, and I thought I just had cool factor
    You do, Big Splash, you do!

+ Reply to Thread