+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ducks

Default Ducks

I did a search and found a few threads on keeping ducks out, but the suggestions really seemed hit or miss.

I chase them away if I see them, but it's obvious from the mess they leave behind that they just come back when we are not at home.

Some of the suggestions I read were:

Run string across the pool (our pool is too big for that)
    Dogs (not an option for us)
    Various floating items (seemed really hit or miss, but I'm willing to try; what kind of float would work?)

Anyone have success keeping ducks out of the pool?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Default Re: Ducks

Rubber snake, maybe? It actually works for a little while with lizards, which my mother is terrified of. (The rubber cobra coiled by the front steps also does a great job of keeping away soliciters from their front door. :P)
    34' ~17,000 gal IG plaster pool, 1 hp 1 spd Utilitech 0313509 pump, currently running Pentair StaRite PosiFlow cartridge filter, upgrading to Hayward DE3600 DE filter

Cool Re: Ducks vs beach balls

Last year we tied some twine to plastic water bottles and then to beach balls. The flooded water bottles keep the balls from blowing out of the pool. The balls have some effect keeping ducks out of the pool.

But last year the twine got algae and I fought that all year. I never thought about twine catching algae. But the twine was like a clothes line, fairly thick and braided, and too long, providing lots of hiding places for algae.

So this year I floated new bottles with short lengths of thin thread. The long twine of last year still allowed the balls to blow over the coping but not out and into the thorns of our rose bushes. Hence the change to short thread.

Yesterday I saw Mr & Mrs duck sitting on the berm next to the pool and the balls were animated by an oncoming rain storm. Success!

This morning Mr duck was having his way with my water. The twine had twisted the two balls together and they were hung up in a corner.

Today I plan to change that thread to even shorter length of fishing line hoping that smooth plastic filament will not hold too much algae spore.

No rest for the pool man.
    Circa 1980 IG, VL, 36K Gal, DE, Chlorine

Default Re: Ducks vs beach balls

Good to hear you've had some success.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Default Re: Ducks vs beach balls

Living in Arizona, ducks in the pool is a very rare occasion. I had one land in my pool about 5 years ago. It was the first time so I thought it was cool and told the dog to leave it alone. After it flew away I realized the mess they leave behind. The dog now has specific orders to guard the pool from ducks.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

+ Reply to Thread