+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rock waterfall gets my pool dirty

Default Rock waterfall gets my pool dirty

It's a small pool with a large rock waterfall on one side. It seems everything that blows through the yard gets trapped in it. When I turn it on I have to keep my big net handy to get as much of the debris as possible. As a result I rarely turn it on and when I do I usually pull out my shop vac and give it a good cleaning first. Then I got wonder how practical it would to make a net to fit in the pool so the waterfall debris would get trapped. Any thoughts out there?
    IMG_20140602_121824.jpg

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Rock waterfall gets my pool dirty

Post a larger picture of the water fall while running, and then another larger picture taking looking at the fall from in the pool, but focusing on the water's edge where any net would have to attach.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Post a larger picture of the water fall while running, and then another larger picture taking looking at the fall from in the pool, but focusing on the water's edge where any net would have to attach.
    Thank you PoolDoc I will do that. Just a note however that every attempt to post a larger photo on my original post was rejected as too large.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

send them to poolforum@gmail.com

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

And, reference the thread number in your email. (Thread # 24124)

I got your picture and video; see below.

What I would do is go to a local sheet metal shop that specializes in SS restaurant counters and sinks, and have them cut and punch 2 strips of 14 or 16 gauge 316 grade stainless, about 1.25" wide, corresponding to the 2 lines I added to your photo. I'd also have them fabricate (3) J-hook clips that I could mount to the edges, and to the large rock in the center, and then slide the rear strip into. You'd probably need to make mounts points of 5/16" SS all-thread, epoxied into DEEP 3/8" holes, and attached with SS cap nuts.

You could make the bag out of this material: http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/4mm...esh-white-.htm

I'd assemble it with white stitched velcro to make it remove-able.

. . . but it would be expensive to hire it done. The shop I use locally won't make anything unless I give them a drawing. The strips + the J-hooks would probably cost $100. Getting the SS all thread and cap nuts would take a couple of hours, unless I could find it online. And drilling those holes without damaging anything would take new bits and a lot of care.

If you don't have the skills to put it together yourself, be careful. This would NOT be standard pool work: not many pool guys could do that for you; it combines too many odd skills.

Good luck!

That's similar to what I had in mind but it just seems so complicated. Although my pool is plaster/gunite I had it fiber-glassed which improved it dramatically. I'm definitely not going to drill into it but maybe a good adhesive would do the trick. I will re-post if I actually do something. Thanks Ben.

To make a permanent and effective solution for a problems like that is often rather complex . . . unless you can just pay someone else to do it. Unfortunately, I think you'd have a hard time finding someone who could and would make something like that.

Pooldoc, in thinking of other ways to accomplish the concept you described what do you think of this idea? Make the bag using noodle floaters around the outside while applying the inside part of the bag to the fiberglass pool wall with velcro. It would be easily removable for cleaning and would do no damage to pool. I have researched Velcro and found it works under water and can be sewed to the bag. The only part that may be a challenge is finding some with adhesive backing that will stick to the pool wall under water.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnASmith View Post
    The only part that may be a challenge is finding some with adhesive backing that will stick to the pool wall under water.
    I think you have that about right. When you pull Velcro apart, it places a LOT of local stress at the point where the Velcro is separated. Plus, you're going to have constant vibratory stress on the adhesive connection. I can't think of a non-mechanical attachment method that I would be willing to use if I had to warranty the work for a year.

John, there are a lot of bad ways to do what you want. There are probably a few other good ways, besides the one I suggested. But you'll need to either find one of those good ways, or deal with the irritation that will result from using a bad way.

But, a cheaper and easier good way of solving your problem hasn't occurred to me.

Good luck

+ Reply to Thread