+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dead possoms in skimmer basket need help please

Default Dead possoms in skimmer basket need help please

I have a good chlorine reading of 2.0 but I found 2 dead possoms in my skimmer basket about 2 days apart. They weren't in the water that long as they weren't decomposed. My question is how much should I raise my chlorine to offset the contamination? We are not swimming yet so waiting time is not important. I can go way high if that's whats needed. BTW how do you stop those critters from getting in? They are just babies yet. Seems like when I added conditioner they came around. I know I know has nothing to do with it just thought I would throw that in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dave G
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)
    I only trust the k-2006 titration is better for me

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Dead possoms in skimmer basket need help please

Yuck, yuck, yuck!!!!!!

If it were my pool, I'd shock the pool and hold the chlorine high for several days! Mostly to get rid of the 'ick factor' but it certainly won't hurt anything. I don't know what your CYA reading is but a chlorine reading of 2ppm isn't gonna do it for me!

Don't know how to stop them from getting in.

Yuck, yuck, yuck!!!

Ok Watermom my cya is 40. have cal-hypo and di-chloro shock. Is one bag enough and which one? BTW there is an Opossum website to tell me all about opossums (like I care). She suggested I tie a towel by the skimmer so they can get out, but she said they are in love with cat food and we have a lady who lives near here who feeds her cats outdoors FOR JOY! Thanks Watermom
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)

I contacted my pool store and they said because they are so filthy it should take 3 cases of chlorine

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Sounds like they want to sell 3 cases of chlorine.

I know Watermom was fighting back waves of retch when she (heroically) answered you before. Bring the pool to shock level and keep it there a couple days to clear out the Heebie Geebies.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

That's what I thought, If anyone knows where Watermom lives please tell her I didn't plan on making her sick Hope shes better today and BTW I had to fish them out How do I make a yeech on the keyboard? Thanks much

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
    btw i had to fish them out.
    ewww!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I know Watermom was fighting back waves of retch when she (heroically) answered you before.
    Thanks, Dave. Thanks for noticing my heroism! (Watermom slithers away........ she is really a big wuss! Just ask Ben! )

not really just found out these opossoms aren't that bad ANYWAY pool is 5.0 ch. level but I'm taking your advice and keeping it high at least for a couple days maybe 3 or more, Thanks Dave and Watermom

Personally I'd just maintain normal CL levels (3-6 for a CYA level of 40) since they weren't in there very long. Perhaps I just have a higher ick factor tolerance.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Yeah I wasn't sure, kinda felt like Watermom yeech! but when my pool store said 3 cases I said NO WAY. After I super shocked it to 5.0 I 'm sure it will be fine. I'm going to keep it high for at least a week, and beside we wont be swimming for 2 weeks anyway

+ Reply to Thread