+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Pool Care (22' x 52" Intex Pool)

Wink New to Pool Care (22' x 52" Intex Pool)

Hello! Just found Pool Forum through web search and hoping it will be a great source of info for us. We just set up our 22' x 52" Intex above ground pool and it is filling as I type this.

I'm confused about what I need to do next as far as chemicals. I'm going to purchase a pool test kit, then I guess based on the test strip (after the pool is full) I should get whatever chemicals I need to fix any off readings? Chlorine and whatever else?

This is a total newbie question, but I just don't know lol! I was thinking there would be something in my owners manual but nothing about that at all, just to visit my local pool dealer.

Also my interest is piqued about the BBB method. Do I need the salt water filter to do this, or can we just maintain the pool with bleach, borax and baking soda themselves and the regular Intex filter that came with it? Would I still use chlorine with this method?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    Jewlz

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New to Pool Forum and New to Pool Care (22' x 52" Intex Pool)

Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum!

Do buy a kit....... but not test strips! There is a reason why we call them 'guess-strips.' The kit we recommend is the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). It is not available locally but you can get it through this link that takes you to Amazon. http://pool9.net/tk/

Since you have a freshly filled pool, the easiest way for you to start up is using our Super Simple Start-up Recipe. Read about it here: http://pool9.net/ssr/

You do NOT need the saltwater unit. And, bleach is chlorine.

Read those links and then come back if you have more questions. Until your registration is completed, you will have to log out first to be able to see the rest of the forum. So, you'll have to copy those links and paste them in a browser window after you log out of the forum.

Hope this helps!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New to Pool Forum and New to Pool Care (22' x 52" Intex Pool)

membership updated.

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: New to Pool Care (22' x 52" Intex Pool)

If you have the cartridge filter, order 2 or 3 GOOD cartridges now. The Intex cartridges are no good. The filters are referenced in this link -
    http://pool9.net/ssr/
    that Watermom referenced.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Let's not say they are "no good" -- they do work, especially if you replace them every week or so, as recommended. They are just not the best.

Thanks to all for the info, just what I needed!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You're welcome!

+ Reply to Thread