+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chemical levels???

mommak is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mommak 0

Question Chemical levels???

Okay, our pooled filled in less than 12 hours. We used 2 hoses, and it filled quickly. I am waiting on our k2006 test kit from Amazon. I have a cheaper HTH OTO 3 Way Test Kit that I bought from Wal-mart. I also have the dip sticks, so I checked and my pH was low, so I added the borax, but when I checked the dip sticks, it looks like the cya is low and same with the alkaline.

The water is not cloudy or changed colors, thank goodness. Do I wait until tomorrow until my good test kit comes before I add anything else to our pool? It is an Intex round above ground 18' by 48".

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: Chemical levels???

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...p-routine-care.

Read this. It will make your life easier.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Actually, following the Super Simple Startup Recipe that Pappy linked above would be a good idea since it is a freshly filled pool. No need to check CYA yet; your pool does not have any in it. CYA is not present in tap water. It is added directly or via trichlor tabs or dichlor powder. If you follow the SS Recipe, it will show you how to get your pool going including introducing needed CYA with dichlor. Once your CYA is about 50ppm, you'll want to switch to just using bleach.

For today, get some bleach in there. You don't want a freshly filled pool to turn green and you wouldn't believe how fast it can happen! I estimate your volume to be around 7000 gallons. Each quart of 8.25% bleach will add about 3ppm of chlorine to your pool. With no CYA, it will disappear fast -- lost to the sun. So, you'll probably have to add it a couple times per day for the first few days.

mommak is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mommak 0

I printed out that plan, and following those steps. I am excited for having such a much simpler way to maintain the chemicals in our pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Yes, simple is definitely good!

+ Reply to Thread