+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Intex Ultra Frame 16' x 48" build

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Intex Ultra Frame 16' x 48" build

I think you'll find that the sand or bare soil becomes a fairly sturdy surface after a few days of compression at almost 2 pounds per square inch (4' of water = 1.7 psi)

Looking very good. Nice to see a new member who has actually read and researched before posting.

Just curious--why would you take the pool down in two months instead of covering it and treating it for winter weather?
    15,000 Gallon AG -24' round -- Vinyl Liner -- 1 HP Hayward Power Flow LX -- Sand Filter -- PF=5.5

Quote Originally Posted by robbym70 View Post
    Looking very good. Nice to see a new member who has actually read and researched before posting.

Just curious--why would you take the pool down in two months instead of covering it and treating it for winter weather?
    I live in Manitoba, Canada and our winters are very harsh. We easily see temps in the -50F range with the windchill for stretches between January to March plus we'll see a lot of snowfall as well. Then in a blink of an eye we'll have 95F temps in July and August. I don't think the Intex pool would withstand being left out in our winters. I suppose I can get through September with the pool up as it's still warm during the days but it tends to cool significantly at night and I find the kids lose a little interest once school starts. So realistically I can probably get 2.5 to 3 months if I'm lucky.
    Intex Ultra-Frame 16' x 4'..... Intex 635T 1500gph cartridge filter with Unicel C-4607 cartridge (will upgrade to sand filter next year)
    Taylor K2006 test kit supplemented with HTH 3-way test kit

Ok the weather we're getting here is really starting to get annoying. I'm pretty sure I've lost 2-3 weeks of work due to the rain we're getting. The frustrating part is that it is so inconsistent..... rain for 3 days, sunny one day, rain 4 days, sunny 2 days. The ground doesn't get a chance to dry completely. Well yesterday was one of the "not bad" days after dealing with showers for 4 days and I couldn't take it anymore and just did something. Staring at hole in my yard for a month is starting to get to me. I rechecked my level yesterday and it looks good. I then laid out the heavy duty landscape paper and this what it looks like:

I was then starting to lay out the foam but guess what.... it starts to rain! It was getting late anyways so I packed it in. The next 4 days is going to be 60% chance of shower. I think I'm just going to tough it out and get it done this weekend regardless of rain.
    Intex Ultra-Frame 16' x 4'..... Intex 635T 1500gph cartridge filter with Unicel C-4607 cartridge (will upgrade to sand filter next year)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Very neat, meticulous work!

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Very neat, meticulous work!
    Thanks PoolDoc! What you and I consider "neat and meticulous" is equivalent to "painfully slow and excessive" to my wife.

One of my favorite writers (CS Lewis) once observed that it seemed to him that incompatibility was one of the purposes of marriage!

I assume you are the neat and organized one in your family, and your wife is the flexible one? (True confessions here: currently, I can see the wood on about 8 square inches of my 3' x 4' desk top! )

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    One of my favorite writers (CS Lewis) once observed that it seemed to him that incompatibility was one of the purposes of marriage!

I assume you are the neat and organized one in your family, and your wife is the flexible one? (True confessions here: currently, I can see the wood on about 8 square inches of my 3' x 4' desk top! )
    I am far from being the neat and organized one...... just when it comes to projects. But the victims of these projects (like my garage) show that I need to work on being a little neater.

Ok here's a no-update update. I got nothing done in the last 4 days due to the rain. Tried to tough it out on Saturday but the rain gods were just mocking me. Tried 3 times but all I managed to do was get set up and then have to pack it all in. Then Saturday evening we had really bad wind (40mph gusts) and it blew around all the landscape fabric. Got soaked putting rocks and other heavy objects on it to keep it down. Thank goodness though, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are supposed to get about 7 days in a row now of hot sunny (80-90F) of weather. Tomorrow I leave for the US to pick up my test kit and other things I've ordered online and will be back Friday evening. Saturday that pool will be up! Or else I'll be having a pool garage sale and use the sale proceeds to fund a family membership at our city pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Good luck!

Pool is up and filling! Its about a 3rd full, should I add a cup of dichlor now?

+ Reply to Thread