+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Green and Cloudy & No CYA

Talking Open Green and Cloudy & No CYA

This is my second year with this forum. You guys helped me have the best year for clarity since I have owned my pool. My wife was impressed after nearly freaking out when she saw me adding Borax last year. Now she is a believer in BBB. I ditched the pool frog set up and this year plan on using it to hold di-chlor tablets.
    This was me last year: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...AND-green-pool

I feel pretty comfortable with my water this year, but I am still checking in to make sure I am on the right track.

Today the water tested at 0 CYA and 0 chlorine. Ph was just a tad over 7.

My opening move was to shock to 15 ppm with liquid chlorine (12.5% concentrate that I get from the feed store of all places). I am running the pump 24/7 until clear this year.

The plan: Maintain shock levels (10ppm) until it is mostly clear. Continue to clean the cartridge multiple times a day until clear. Then maintain 2ppm. Once clear then add dichlor tabs. Maintain chlorine levels as directed in the best guess chlorine chart. Let me know is this is the right plan of attack.

Thanks to Doc for the post in my thread to help me determine how much di-chlor to add so I can know how much stabilizer I am adding.

Looking forward to another great clear year of swimming.

On another note I am wishing I started 30 days earlier. when I peeked under the cover beginning of May the water was clear, but here is was still in the 40s overnight. Next year I want to start way earlier so I can be ahead of the algae instead of catching up like this year.
    18k gal AG 27' with 5-1/2' deep end, Hayward XStream 1500 Cartridge filter; Hayward 1.5 hp Power Flo matrix pump; K-2006C kit; 2 bottom drains. PF=6.7

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Open Green and Cloudy & No CYA

Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what you need to do. Just a couple of comments.

Keep an eye on your pH if it is just a tad over 7. You don't want it to drop any lower. As a matter of fact, I'd go ahead and add a little Borax.

Those tabs are trichlor and not dichlor. They will add CYA and you need some but it takes time so you may find that until the CYA builds up some, you'll have trouble keeping chlorine in the pool. You may want to use dichlor instead of the trichlor tabs. It is a granular form of chlorine which means it is quick dissolving and thus will build up your CYA level a little faster. Then, once your CYA is where you want it (most pools do well at about 50), you'll want to switch to just using liquid chlorine or bleach so your CYA doesn't get too high. If you do use dichlor, you have to be careful. A lot of places sell blended dichlor which has unwanted stuff in it. If you have a Sam's Club near you, you can buy their PoolBrand dichlor which is fine.

Now, a question. What was your CYA reading when you closed last fall? Some pools lose all their CYA over the winter when it biodegrades, leaving a huge chlorine demand. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case in your pool. Let us know if you are losing chlorine really fast. Especially telling is if you are losing more than 1ppm of chlorine overnight.

Welcome back for another season on the Pool Forum!

Glad to be back. I reccomened this site to a buddy of mine who had mustard algae last year. He asked me for the site this year when he opened after the great year I had last year.

The place I looked had Dichlor in 1' tablets. They also had granules as well. I hear you saying that I need to get the CYA up to 50ish then use liquid chlorine? The resource page says use liquid chlorine until I can maintain 2 ppm then add stabilizer.

CYA was around 30 when I closed. I kept it low so I could use less bleach to maintain proper levels.

I think I am losing chlorine fast, but not sure. Added a gallon @ 700 after the sun went behind the house and checked at 9. 1ppm. Added 3/4 a gal of bleach and at 10 it was at 2 ppm. I am going to add another gallon now and check it in the morning.
    18k gal AG 27' with 5-1/2' deep end, Hayward XStream 1500 Cartridge filter; Hayward 1.5 hp Power Flo matrix pump; K-2006C kit; 2 bottom drains. PF=6.7

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

What resource page are you referring to? I am not aware of dichlor tabs. Do you have a link to them somewhere?

Are you adding the 121 oz jugs of 8.25 bleach?

Here is the resource page:
    http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/spri...-problems.html
    Problem #2 item 4.
    "Initially, your stabilizer-eating bacteria and biofilms will STILL be active in your pool. So, do NOT use stabilized chlorine to start with -- you could end up making your problem worse, faster than you make it better. This means NO dichlor powder. Use bleach or calcium hypochlorite only."

I will have to take a pic of the #50 bucket of the 1" tablets I saw. I may have read the ingredients wrong.

The bleach I have is 12.5% concentration. I buy it from the feed store. I get deposit bottles. When I come back with the bottles I get my $6 back. I understand he fills them there himself. The chemical company is Funshine. They are 1 gallon bottles. With the deposit taken into account it is about the same price as the 10% Pool Store For pool only bleach, but everything at the feed store is cheaper. Accessories are less and I can also get the dog food and the chicken feed there as well. It is win win for me. If there is a good argument for the 10% bleach with the throw away bottles I would love to hear it. Even if my 12.5% ends up being the same concentration as the 10% bottles I would not mind since they use the bottles over and over all summer instead of throwing them away.

Your 12.5% bleach is just fine.

It was late when you added bleach so you may have not had time but when you are trying to determine if you have a chlorine demand, we like to be able to measure overnight chlorine loss. The best way to do this is to add chlorine when the sun is off the pool in the evening. Then, a couple hours later test so you'll have FC and CC numbers to compare with the next morning's readings which should be taken within an hour of sunrise.

I will do that tonight and tomorrow morning.

My first reading was .6ppm, but 1.5 hour after sunrise, but no time to get full FC reading. I added a gallon of bleach, just to keep the pressure on the algae, but I figure it will be gone by lunch.

I hope that since there was SOME chlor this morning that I an not dealing with the larger issue.

By the way, what is your wall height on your pool? I think you may be overestimating the volume of your pool. I'm assuming it is 54" (same as mine ) which means your water level is around 50 inches. This puts your volume at more like 18K gallons. I was trying to determine how much chlorine a gallon of 12.5% bleach would add to your pool (assuming it is that strength) and need an accurate volume to do so.

We had this same discussion last year. Here is the post link.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...075#post110075

TLR- I have a deep end that is about 5 1/2', sometimes deeper when the water runs high after it rains a lot.

I use a chlorine calculator that I thought I found on here. It is an .exe and it calculates in L as opposed to gallons. If you have one you like to use then let me know. From what I can tell if I want to increase 10 ppm then I need to add 6L of chlorine.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

http://pool9.net/bleach-calc/

May not work with Windows 8, unless you run it in a compatibility mode.

+ Reply to Thread