+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Dealing with scale problem

Default Re: Dealing with scale problem

Hi again,
    I've been following the program you've recommended and it's definitely working. I can see progress every day as brushing and running the pool cleaner are both removing scale, slowly, but surely. A couple of questions;
    1. Should I be running my filter pump 24/7? I cut it back to 10 hours a day and am not sure if I should have done that.
    2. I'm testing PH and chlorine levels twice daily. Is that enough? Is once a day ok?
    3. How often should I test TA and CH? They've both stayed the same over the past week.
    Thanks
    25k gal pool, 18 x 36, 3' to 8' depth. Vinyl lined. Single speed pump

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. 10 hours per day is probably OK -- but make it (2) 5 hour sessions, not 10 straight.

2. Once is fine.

3. CH isn't going to change unless you add calcium, begin using cal hypo, or add so much bicarb or soda ash that you cloud the pool. TA -- if you are going to keep the pH low enough to strip carbonate alkalinity, you probably want to test more than 1x per week.

Our scale problem is slowly going away. I would say we are to about 40%, mostly on the slopes. I am still getting about a fistful of scale each time I am running the cleaner. We've had a lot of rain the past week (about 4 inches) and TA has dropped to 900 PPM. It has been consistently around 1100 during this process. Should I be concerned about the drop?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You mean 90, and 110 ppm, right?

If so, no, I wouldn't be concerned, as long as your pH is not too low. Make sure your pH occasionally is above 7.0, so you can be sure it's not t 6.2 or something like that!

Yes, I meant 90 and 110 ppm. Guess I got carried away with the zeros. The lowest PH I've seen is 6.8. It has not been hard to keep it at 7.0 until the recent monsoons. Even then, 7.3 was the worst after our deluge on Wednesday.

+ Reply to Thread