+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leak in new Intex pool - What to do?

Angry Leak in new Intex pool - What to do?

I have upgraded us to an Intex metal frame pool - 15' by 48". I was setting it up today for the first time and, upon putting water in, discovered a leaky seam at the bottom where two side panels meet. It's within an inch of where the two panels also meet the bottom panel but, as near as I can tell, it's the seam between the two walls that is leaking.

It took me the better part of a day to put this thing together and I'm loath to have to tear it down and exchange it for a new one. Not to mention the time it will probably take to deal with Intex on this.

Any advice? Though I don't want to deal with a replacement, my gut is telling me that trying to fix this well end up a losing battle that causes me to hate my new pool in the coming years. I thought about trying silicon or a patch but I'm not sure I can fix a leaky seam. I'll attach a picture of the leak.

Thanks!

Donovan
    15' round 4K gal Intex AG vinyl pool; Kem-Tek granulated dichlor; Unicel Type A cartridge filter; Intex Krystal Clear, Model 637R, pump; 12hrs; Taylor K-2600 test kit; utility water; PF:30

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: Leak in new Intex pool - What to do?

Since it's a seam leak, I'd question the integrity of EVERY seam in that piece. The operator or a poorly maintained/adjusted machine could be the cause of the issue and might extend to ALL seams, so I'd suggest replacement. You don't want to get it 3/4 full and have the side seam blow out.

Where and when did you purchase the pool? If you put the purchase on a credit card, you my have some leverage through the CC company. Most big-boxes have a 30 day return/exchange policy.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Thanks, Watermom! Intex requires a receipt for replacement. We bought it a couple of months ago on sale so finding said receipt poses a challenge. But if I can find it, I intend to get the liner replaced.

In the meantime I went ahead and patched it with the stuff that came with the pool. I figured it couldn't hurt; the person I talked to at Intex didn't seem to care and indicated that the only needed a few pieces of the liner if I decide to try replacing it.

The wasted time, if I do get it replaced, does grate on my nerves.
    15' round 4K gal Intex AG vinyl pool; Kem-Tek granulated dichlor; Unicel Type A cartridge filter; Intex Krystal Clear, Model 637R, pump; 12hrs; Taylor K-2600 test kit; utility water; PF:30

Good thought, Pappy. Didn't think of that. As outlined above, I do intend to have it replaced if I can find the blasted receipt. I'm also trying to figure out which credit card we used so I can find the statement. Since it was a couple of months ago, I'm having some trouble remembering how we paid for it.

Not that my home is chaotic or anything...

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

+ Reply to Thread