+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward CL220 Off-line Chlorinator Question

Default Hayward CL220 Off-line Chlorinator Question

Hi,
    I just moved into a house and am learning the pool system. The Hayward CL220 instructions state that it should be pulling from the line between the pump and filter; and returning to the line after the heater. The current system configuration is pulling from the line after the filter but before the heater; and returning to the line after the heater. Will this configuration work or do I need to reroute?
    Thanks,
    Ted

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hayward CL220 Off-line Chlorinator Question

That arrangement protects the heater from high chlorine. Whether it works or not depends on whether the pressure differential is sufficient.

Unfortunately I don't have enough experience with the Hayward CL series feeders to know, since my approach, when I encountered them, was to replace them immediately with a Rainbow (Pentair) 320 inline feeder. The metering valve on those never works well, and sometimes doesn't work at all. After wasting hours (this was years ago) trying to get a couple of those things to work, I ripped one out, took it apart, and then had a "Well, no f###ing wonder moment!" That was the last Hayward feeder I left in service on any pool I was responsible for!

The Hayward CL series feeders is on my personal list of "WORST POOL EQUIPMENT", right along with the Pentair System3 cartridge filter and the Nature2 units. The off-line feeders from Hayward actually can work, but I quickly abandoned (again years ago) everybody's off line feeders because of the various issues with them -- they can work, but they have multiple failure modes.

+ Reply to Thread