+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you maintain a stable CYA and use an inline chlorinator?

Default Can you maintain a stable CYA and use an inline chlorinator?

This specific question is a continuation of my initial thread/discussion with Watermom (thanks bunches for all the feedback, BTW ) here http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...-from-Tampa-FL

So for those of you who do run inline chlorinators, how do you address the eventual accumulation of CYA?
    34' ~17,000 gal IG plaster pool, 1 hp 1 spd Utilitech 0313509 pump, currently running Pentair StaRite PosiFlow cartridge filter, upgrading to Hayward DE3600 DE filter

Default Re: Can you maintain a stable CYA and use an inline chlorinator?

No one?

How about a related question... how much would using trichlor tablets be expected to raise CYA levels?

I realize this is going to be different for every different situation- I'm not looking for an exact mathematical answer. Just a general "using trichlor tablets in an Pentair inline chlorinator could raise CYA anywhere from xxx to xxx per month/year" or something along those lines would be fantastic.

I mean, if we're only talking a few ppm of additional CYA per season- that's manageable. If we're talking 10ppm per month... that's something else.
    34' ~17,000 gal IG plaster pool, 1 hp 1 spd Utilitech 0313509 pump, currently running Pentair StaRite PosiFlow cartridge filter, upgrading to Hayward DE3600 DE filter

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

How many ppm of chlorine are you using daily? Trichlor will add 6ppm CYA for every 10ppm FC it adds. It will also push down pH so be sure to have Borax on hand to bring it back up. Also be sure to raise you chlorine targets as the CYA level increases.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

I *just* brought my CYA from 0 to 70 ppm, and am still working on defeating a persistent algae bloom, so I don't yet know what my daily chlorine consumption is going to be. 6ppm CYA to 10 ppm FC is not what I was hoping to hear.

Hmmm

Does no one use inline chlorinators and maintain high CYA?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

You will need an unstabilized source of chlorine to win the algae battle.

Yep, I'm just using bleach now that my CYA is high. I had 0ppm before I used dichlor to bring that up.

I'm in the process of upgrading my filter, so having to re-do my plumbing. Trying to decide whether or not to install a Pentair inline chlorinator. I'd really like to automate chlorination somewhat if possible, due to an irregular work schedule. Trying to figure out if there's a way around one increasing CYA too badly.

SWCG is a good fit if your pool (and budget) can accommodate. There is a device called the liquidator that may be OK - I haven't heard of any successes with it. Another option is: use trichlor when you're away and keep chasing the required FC for the CYA levels you reach.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

SWCG was one thing that was discussed as an idea in her previous thread. (It is linked up above in the first post in case you didn't have an opportunity to read it.)

(Lauralee, I like the avatar.)

Thanks, both of you.

And Watermom- I've been an aquarium hobbyist for 30+ years and Cardinal Tetras are my favorite fish. Figured that would be a sort of appropriate avatar for here, too lol

I don't like the idea of my CYA increasing at the rate it looks like it will if I go with the inline chlorinator.

So I guess this boils back down to whether or not I want to spring for a SWCG. I was all about the SWCG till I realized that the warranties have gone down so much and the cells have to be replaced so often... and that I'll probably need to hire an electrician to wire it. My dad's a retired contractor so he's helping me with plumbing in the new filter, but I'm not confident I want him doing electrical work this close to water (don't know if he'd volunteer to do it anyways...). I'm comfortable with a lot of DIY, but electrical work always just makes me nervous. Totally out of my own Scope lol

Got some thinking and number crunching to do.

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

Ok, at the risk of being the opinion which goes against the flow of this board, I use an inline chlorinator with the 3 inch trichlor tabs. I think it's a Pentair Rainbow 320, it fits about 11 tabs at a time. I do it for convenience and the fact that it's within my comfort zone since I've maintained pools this way since I was about 14. I shock with bleach, but maintain my FC residual with the tabs. By the end of the season my CYA is approaching 65-70 ppm. My water ( after the initial clean up ) is always crystal clear.

My pool gets a lot of use, so there is a lot of splash out, and it's pretty windy, so I get a lot of evaporation. The only downside of using the chlorinator with the trichlor tabs, for me, is that the ph will drift downwards as the season progresses, so I always have baking soda and borax in the shed to stabilize and raise the ph.

I've never admitted this on this forum before, because I feel like an idiot, but.....when I open my pool at the end of May, my CYA is gone. I don't know why or how but it's pretty much at zero. So I never have an issue with my CYA being too high.

I see that you're in Tampa, so you probably never close your pool. So whatever strange alchemy occurs in my pool over the winter to degrade my CYA won't happen in yours. I think if I were in your position and based on the size of your pool, I would chlorinate with bleach and use the trichlor tabs when away on vacation. Good luck!

Tom
    20'x42' L' 41K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor feeder, bleach; Pentair 420 cartridge filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp 2 speed pump; hrs; TF-100, CYA test; city;PF:2.9

+ Reply to Thread