+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can you maintain a stable CYA and use an inline chlorinator?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Can you maintain a stable CYA and use an inline chlorinator?

@TomC: I don't think anyone here is opposed to trichlor or inline feeders. The issue is that trichlor adds 6ppm CYA for every 10ppm FC and you have to increase target FC as CYA increases. This can be a little hard to grasp, setting a CYA level and maintaing the matching FC is eaisier to teach. A common trichlor scenario is the Green August Pool. A great many pools turn green late in the summer because thier owners are trying to maintain a FC level that's too low for the CYA that's built up.

Your experience of losing CYA over the winter is also common. There are bacteria that consume CYA and release nitrogen compounds sometimes as ammonia. This CYA consumption can happen quite quickly once FC is depleted and the bacteria is allowed to grow. You may or may not have observed that sometimes it take alot - ALOT of chlorine before chlorine will hold in the spring. This is often the result of ammonia formation.

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

Thanks Dave, that explains it then.

Tom
    20'x42' L' 41K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor feeder, bleach; Pentair 420 cartridge filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp 2 speed pump; hrs; TF-100, CYA test; city;PF:2.9

Quote Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

So I guess this boils back down to whether or not I want to spring for a SWCG. I was all about the SWCG till I realized that the warranties have gone down so much and the cells have to be replaced so often....
    I've been through 10 complete seasons with our SWCG. So far I've had to replace the cell one time (though I suspect our current cell may need to be replace later this season or next season). I did a quick calculation and figured we spend about $150 a year using the SWCG, that includes the initial cost of the system as well the cost of one replacement cell.

Used appropriately (ie - used to maintain CL levels only), over time I'm not finding using a SWCG that much more expensive than traditional methods, but it offers the advantage of convenience. Also, it makes it easier to control CYA and CL levels separately.

I've also found that by adding borates (about 60ppm) and keeping my TA about 70-80, I no longer have to add muratic acid to keep pH down (SWCG operation can cause the pH to rise). It's very rare that I have to adjust pH.

Personally I really like having the SWCG and would go with the same system again if I had it to do over again.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Yeah, the issue for me is that I don't ever close my pool being in Florida. So my CYA would just keep climbing and climbing... and I'd need more and more chlorine.

So I'm back to deciding if I want to go the SWCG route or not.

Which make/model do you have, JimK?
    34' ~17,000 gal IG plaster pool, 1 hp 1 spd Utilitech 0313509 pump, currently running Pentair StaRite PosiFlow cartridge filter, upgrading to Hayward DE3600 DE filter

Quote Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
    Yeah, the issue for me is that I don't ever close my pool being in Florida. So my CYA would just keep climbing and climbing... and I'd need more and more chlorine.

So I'm back to deciding if I want to go the SWCG route or not.

Which make/model do you have, JimK?
    Aqua Rite. I believe it's currently made by Hayward.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-AQR15-...rd+salt+system
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread