+ Reply to Thread

Thread: suction-side cleaner or pressure-side

Default suction-side cleaner or pressure-side

Hello all - I have a new 16000 gal gunite pool - which clean would be better would be better for me suction side or pressure side - I do have a dedicated pressure cleaner return

sailork is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sailork 0

Default Re: suction-side cleaner or pressure-side

The advantages of a suction side;
    1. Cheapest by quite a bit. Cheapest to buy. No extra pump. No extra electricity. Fewer parts to break (cheapest to maintain.)
    2. When they suck something up it goes to the main filter. If it sucks something tiny off the bottom, you never see it again. The pressure side cleaners scrub a little better, but the debris ends up in a mesh bag. The bag has to be cleaned, and doesn't get the fine stuff.

Disadvantages.
    1. Many people have trouble getting them to do a thorough job cleaning the sides, etc. (I use a brush every week or so, it takes me less than fifteen minutes depending on how much beer I drink while I do it.)
    2. Your filter has to be cleaned more often.
    Last edited by sailork; 06-06-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    22,000 gal gunite pool, 1.5 hp pump, DE filter, and dreams of a SWG.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

in addtion, pressure side cleaners help to distribute water and chemicals throughout the water and also help equalize the heat in the pool since you have a moving return line, so to speak. If your pool has a lot of large debris like leaves then a pressure side cleaner will work longer before clogging up. Also, your filter and pump basket stay cleaner with a pressure side cleaner. Also, pressure side cleaners allow your skimmer to work at full capacity while the cleaner is operating. Suction side cleaners are usually plugged into the skimmer port and disable skimming unless you buy and expen$ive vacumn plate for your skimmer that will allow both to work but at a reduced capacity.

IMHO, if you are plumbed for pressure it would be a better choice. Most of the people using suction side cleaners do not have that choice.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Smile Re: suction-side cleaner or pressure-side

Thanks for the opinions - I think I'll go with the Pressure side cleaner - Any one have an opinion on the Polaris 360 - I have a dedcated return for the cleaner but not a booster pump?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Have a booster pump installed and go with the 380 if you are going with Polaris.

I just received my Polaris 360 yesterday (bought in on eBay for a great price). My dad has had one for years and it works pretty good. I borrowed his for about 2 weeks to put in my new pool and it does a very good job. The pool came with the Jandy Ray-Vac, and that thing just kept getting stuck by the steps (even after numerous adjustments).

Think I'll go with the 360 - Its a new pool and i have been spending $$$ like crazy - Don't want to fork out for a booster pump

The 360 is a good unit but the 380 with a booster pump (or even the 280 with a booster pump) will probably outperform it

+ Reply to Thread